Reloading ammo

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Administrator
Reaction score
Does anyone reload? I am interested in getting into it and know nothing.

Yes, it's tedious and for the detail oriented that's for sure. I save about %40 (standard target practice type rounds) over retail with my current setup, but depending on what you reload with you could add possibly another %15-20 on top of that, but you could also be closer to only a %20 savings if you re-load with hi end slugs and powder every time.

Current re-loading area

2012-01-30_20-55-07_534.jpg

I'm definitely on the small end of production with my two presses (At most 40-60 rounds per hour), but depending on your shooting habits, it may be all you need. There are nice progressive presses that will pump out 650-700 rounds per hour, but they're not within my budget or need right now.

What you have would probably work for me. My main thing is my .500 S&W, a box of 20 runs $60 for the cheap stuff and I want to shoot it more.

This is a helpful page. http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/customize-reloader.html

Dillon and RCBS are the big 2 for re-loading. There are other brands as well, but it seems like everyone has a Dillon press. Check craig's list, you can usually find old Rock Chucker style presses (like mine) for $20 or so and everything that goes with them as people get tired of re-loading. I've seen entire setups go for $200 and that's with scales, a few die sets, vibratory machines, etc.....

Sweet thanks for the info, keep it coming.

Lee also makes reloading presses.

I thought about reloading, but the farthest i got into it was buying a book that told me how to do it and some powder charts.

Just take your time, be very, very careful with primers, and be sure to not double dose the powder...

So what consists of an entire set up? What all would I need to get started?

At Minimum you'll need the following

1) A good reference book or a laptop near by with charging and re-loading info (Check out the Hornaday website for Info Hornaday

2) A die set for your caliper (Usually consists of 2 or 3 dies depending on the round)

3) A press (O-type rock chucker press for cheap will work)

4) Powder Charger

5) Scale

6) Cleaning materials

7) Primers, Powder, Bullets

8) Case Lubricant and Pad

That's the bare minimum. RCBS makes a nice basic startup kit which can be found here RCBS Starter Kits

I am cheap so I will probably CL it all the way. The search is on.

Keep your eyes out for a small case vibrator. They do wonders with a bit of corncob media and brasso.

Unpolished on left, Polished on Right

IMAG0190.jpg

Are HF ones anything decent for this?

I can't say b/c I've never tried one, but it usually takes about a 12 hour run to do one batch so it does need a decent motor behind it.

The last one is a full kit and seems to have the best price.

The last kit does look to be the best deal if it's complete. as long as the press doesn't have any play in the sleeves and action it should be fine for what you need.

How many dies will you need to purchase? Are they easily obtainable if you purchase the third set?

I researched the third one a bit and new it sells for 115-140 so if I were to go that route I would save the 40 bucks in gas and buy it locally new.

I've heard Lee makes a good press and they have a lifetime guarantee... And they still make them, so the whole produce line is supported...

I have family out in Sweden and a cousin is asking what it might cost to get started reloading Shotgun shells, any of you guys know what it would take to get started?

Latest posts

Back