Relocating water lines

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigoskii

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Oscar and I have started a project that's has me confused, bathroom down to the stud except the ceiling and subfloor my water lines go along a sub beam comes out and goes directly into the front of the shower, I use to have a big sit down tub, I want a walk-in shower. Option 1- go along with the subtloor and cut threw the 2x4 and replace it with Pex A pipe but I'm going to run into a different comer so not sure it the Pex A could make the bend there are 2- 2x4's in the corner. Option 2- cut the subfloor go thru the cross beams with Pex A into the front of the shower but there's a cross beam at the end and it appears the the 2x4 is sitting on top of it. I’m completely baffled, I called 2 plumbers sent them the pictures and (no shows). Thank you in advance for your advice.

87B34C9B-300A-4DF5-A7BD-98F0A0D1C135.jpeg40EA2A23-6863-4C51-A78E-6103C0F642E3.jpegAF5FB2D6-5CB3-41E5-B006-7A25BC9AB84D.jpeg

What type of shower are you planning. If it is a molded one piece or three piece there may be room for the PEX and the bends. If you are doing a tile shower I would rip out that whole piece of sub floor to start and run all the plumbing in the joist space.

I was planning to have a walk-in tile shower hopefully a seamless shower but it might be over my head and ability too. Thank you for your advice.

I have never built a tile shower but have seen it done in parts on TV shows where they build a pan and then treat the walls with waterproof materials and then add tiles. I would start with getting the sub floor out and getting all the plumbing run in PEX. I love PEX and I’m a fan of doing as much of it as I can as a homerun and not having extra fitting in areas I wont have access to after it is closed in.

I’m sure others will be along with details on building the shower enclosure.

Back