Remodeling costs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

granite-girl

Reaction score
Question for you all. I know nobody will really know, unless maybe you live near me & just did a major remodel.
But my sister just got a bid from one contractor. She's looking at adding on @ 1100 s.f. to her house. For one the bid blew her away, but one thing that was shocking. He broke everything out & his allowance or cost for drywall was $18,000. For 1120 s.f. Does that sound right ? My Goodness - We should all be in the drywall business! He told her that was where he could make some money. ! Really !

Just curious to see what you all think.
She's still waiting on other bids obviously! :p

Granit-Girl, I wouldn't be supprised to see it come in at anywhere from $2-300.00 a square foot, depending on what they are putting in it. It's always wise to get several bids and make sure permits are pulled on the addition. If the contactor doesn't get them, tell your sister to insist.

Question for you all. I know nobody will really know, unless maybe you live near me & just did a major remodel.
But my sister just got a bid from one contractor. She's looking at adding on @ 1100 s.f. to her house. For one the bid blew her away, but one thing that was shocking. He broke everything out & his allowance or cost for drywall was $18,000. For 1120 s.f. Does that sound right ? My Goodness - We should all be in the drywall business! He told her that was where he could make some money. ! Really !

Just curious to see what you all think.
She's still waiting on other bids obviously! :p

He obvisiouly made a mistake or has included some other items not mentioned or made clear.

I know kitchen remodels can get expensive. But I would think that 18k for the drywall portion is out of line and a mistake. Might be a good idea to talk to someone else too!

The contractor told her that's where he can make some money !
She's still waiting on other bids, going on month 2 of waiting, I think she talked to these guys between thanksgiving & 1st of Dec.

I'll be sure & tell her to get permits too.

Back