Remodeling the Kitchen

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdhomeguy

Reaction score
Hey guys just have a quick question. I am in the process of remodeling my kitchen (just finished the cabinets) and am now going to the countertops. Now from what I have heard from people installing countertops by yourself is extremely hard. I just wanted to know if anyone has ever done it, and maybe how much it cost in terms of money and the amount of time it took. Thanks alot guys!

P.s. They are granite countertops (African Beige)

Any help would be great guys! Still trying to figure out the best way to do this.

I would think the tools you need for the job may not make it cost effective for one job, and no I have not done it.

I have never done it myself but hired a kitchen remodeling expert team .They have great knowledge regarding what is required for a better kitchen and how to install the required parts in kitchen easily.So i will suggest you to hire a remodeling expert team

Hire it done by countertop professionals. Installing granite countertops is not something an inexperienced amateur should attempt. They are heavy, awkward and fragile.

I suggest that instead of doing that job by your self. You'll hire someone experienced in doing that job. Because if you don't have the right tools and knowledge in doing the countertops, you'll might just cost more that hiring a professional to do the job for you.

Yeah that is true. I don't have the tools necessary for the project and since I have no experience I think hiring someone will be the best bet. Does anyone know how much it will cost ? Like a rough estimate?

Big box stores always have per square foot prices shown on their displays. Just take your calculator, and do the arithmetic for your counter area.

If by your Title you are in San Diego, there are a lot of guys on Craigslist who do side jobs for a good price. DO NOT try granite as a newbie. You will not be happy. Just bite this bullet and realize that not everything is a DIY project.

Ok so the consensus seems to say do not do this job on my own. So i have started my hunt for contractors in the area. CallMeVilla I am in San Diego but have not checked craigslist yet. Do you have any personal recommendations? (seeing your from the area as well)

Sadly, I am not in the countertop business. Granite is the preferred surface and lots of people do the work. Check references diligently. As you know, CA makes doing business almost impossible. (Thanks Jerry Brown) Individual workers can do side jobs for reasonable prices . . . but you need to look carefully.

Good luck

Yeah especially living in San Diego it is always hard to find a contractor who is not ripping you off and will do a good job. Thanks for the advice though. Appreciate it!

Well I have tried it once doing myself but I failed big time. Its a job of a professional and time depends on the size. The bigger the size, more the time it will take. You can consult 2 or 3 professionals before hiring anyone of those.

Hey, I did find a young general contractor who knows everyone in various trades in San Diego. He is based in North County, so it would be better if you are north of I-8 . . . He just did a kitchen remodel including cabinets, drawyers, doors, custom molding, and counter tops in Poway.

Inetrested?

Thanks for this interesting forum. To ensure that your kitchen or bath remodel meets all of your expectations, we have developed a step-by-step approach to remodeling. This process takes you from the idea stage to cooking your first meal or taking your first bubble bath.

CallMeVilla, thanks for the the offer on the contractor, but I found one that seems to know what he's doing. The job is actually currently going on. I will let you guys know about any updates and hopefully put up pictures of the final product!

Yes i checked the license for my contractor first. The job is almost done and its looking great!

How about posting some pics of your project, whether in-progress or done?? People in Poway are interested.

I will check with my contacts locally. You need granite only or more?

Latest posts

Back