Remove a vinyl mounting block cover?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokosz

Reaction score
Hi, the attached photo shows what I believe is a vinyl siding mounting block with the "cover" in place.

I've tried pulling with my finger on the cente hole & using a putty knife around the edges to pry the cover away from the bezel. Neither cover wants to budge.

How do I remove them? Is there a special tool? -- if so, what's it called?
Maybe they're not supposed to ever be removed?(!).

I intend to mount speakers here. I don't feel I can trust the "flimsiness" nor the hollow behind the cover it for holding the speaker's weight. __And I'd like to clean the old bees nests out of them.

Anybody care to venture a answer or suggestion?

thanks folks.

SidingCoverPlate.jpg

Pull the bezel.

Once you do that, you can pull the mounting plated via the screws/nails and reinforce with wood behind it.

Aha! Thanks Neal and Wow. I was beginning to think it was "fixed" and puzzling how to get something substantial in its place. I like the idea of keeping the cover -- for extra weather protex for the wood behind it... thanks again.

All righty, yes, pulling the bezel gets me access -- but you folks knew that already. But that exposed another question: the vinyl courses are so tight to the block that I can't get at the fasteners for the block.
I'd prefer to not cut the face of cover, but rather, remove it, mount wood behind it, replace the cover, mount the speakers.

I presume I need to release some of the vinyl courses enough so I can get at the block fasteners. I know vinyl siding has some funky tools -- which do you think I'd need for this?

thanks all.

No need for special tools.

Just unlock it from the corners and bend it out of the was slightly to get the fasteners out.

The right way is the way your trying to do it, remove the whole thing and add 3/4 plywood or OSB in the hollow area. That same size block can be bought that's solid faced so you could drill a smaller hole for the wiring.
Often times I can not find my Zipper tool so I just use my flat bar. Going to need one anyway to remove the roofing nails.

Back