Remove curls from garden hose

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixit7

Reaction score
I am having a hard time getting my hose in shape to hang up, but the curls in in are making that hard.

I did a search for removing curls from a garden hose, but did not find much.

Is there a way of removing the curls?

Not entirely sure what you mean by curls, but I always coil mine on the ground, and not on a reel.

Laying it out in the hot sun can relax the tendency to coil up. I have a couple of wall hanging racks I hang mine on, and one that I coil on the ground. Draining much of the water out before coiling it up helps somewhat. Cheap hoses are the worst at retaining their shape. Though I've had some expensive ones no-kink hoses that will kink.

#1, If it's a cheap hose it's always going to be trouble.
#2, If there's some form of nozzle on the end of the hose, remove it before trying to wind up the hose for two reasons, it will allow the hose to drain making it lighter, and with less weight on the end of the hose it will be easyier to get it to curl in the direction it needs to go to stop it from kinking.

Ditto on the hot sun approach. The warm hose will relax more (works for extension cords too). I would add that you should hang it with the largest loops that can fit on the hose rack (for example, a rack two feet off the ground should have a coil where each loop is four feet)

I will try laying it out in the hot sun.

It's a mid grade hose.

Maybe the heat will make it reshape itself flat?

I will try laying it out in the hot sun.

It's a mid grade hose.

Maybe the heat will make it reshape itself flat?
The heat definitely makes it more pliable. Having it full of water while in the sun and then draining it before you roll it up will help. I agree with SnS that bigger loops help. My hose racks are 4-5' off the ground so I have pretty big loops.

Sun or run some hot water through it while pulling it straight (drain your water heater at the same time),
I'm still using an old tire cord hose from the 80's. I think it's about to blow cause I can feel it plump up when I turn the water on with the sprayer closed. I ground loop mine in about a 4' circle. Lock open the sprayer while retracting it so the water can drain as it's looped. Personal experience, don't waste your money on those shrink hoses, I blew 2 of them out before I called it quits.

A high quality rubber hose will coil up more neatly, and will not kink as badly as any plastic type of hose.
They are heavy, but usually last for decades if treated with respect.

But any hose will kink, so if you abuse it you are just asking for it to fail.

Plastic hoses will kink and form tight spots, and will always kink again in that same spot, then will start to leak from there after repeated kinking.

Coiling up in a wide ground loop as mentioned is good if you are patient.

Otherwise, get a sturdy metal hose cart, and wind it up.
And pull it straight out off the reel when using it.
Not at an angle, or dragged around corners or around gates etc.

I do not what is going on. Yahoo mail keeps sending emails from this forum to my spam folder even when I mark them as NOT spam?

Anyone know how to fix that?

Yahoo tends to send most of the ones I get into my spam folder. I think the solution is to mark the sender as Not Spam or Safe. When I come to this forum I click on the "New Posts" menu item on the upper left section of the page. That brings all the newest posts up that I haven't looked at. "What's New" will bring up all the recent posts, including ones that I have commented on recently. I rarely go to the menu of different topics here. Also, if you look at the bell symbol in the upper right of the screen you should have a number there if there are additional comments on a thread you're following.

A high quality rubber hose will coil up more neatly, and will not kink as badly as any plastic type of hose.
They are heavy, but usually last for decades if treated with respect.

But any hose will kink, so if you abuse it you are just asking for it to fail.

Plastic hoses will kink and form tight spots, and will always kink again in that same spot, then will start to leak from there after repeated kinking.

Coiling up in a wide ground loop as mentioned is good if you are patient.

Otherwise, get a sturdy metal hose cart, and wind it up.
And pull it straight out off the reel when using it.
Not at an angle, or dragged around corners or around gates etc.

If you're coiling it on the ground, doing so in a figure 8 will solve all those problems. Loose and comfortable is the way to go. Grab and go, no fighting it.

Back