Remove linoleum floor under new cabinets

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirategonzo

Reaction score
Hello, we are redoing our kitchen and our current cabinets are not on top of the existing floor.
My plan was to remove part of the linoleum floor where the new cabinets are going. So basically we are replacing our old cabinets plus adding additional cabinets.
I am having a hard time getting the floor up and was wondering if I should just run a saw down it so I get through the luan and then pull it up or if there is a better way to do this? I don't have a good starting edge because it is in a corner. I want to lay a floating floor over the linoleum that is in the house rather than pull it all up.

Hey, welcome to the site. You may find the the plywood below the lino was also glued. Why not just fill under the old cabinets so all is at the level of the lino. You don't want you cupboards to low for you dishwasher to fit under.

I never gave it a thought, not sure why. Would it be best to fill it with luan? It's probably only an eighth of an inch difference.

I think Nealtw has a point. It would be easier for you to do what he have said and beside from that, it will also look more beautiful than the old way how you put the cabinets.

For an eighth of an inch I wouldn't do anything as the cupboard will have to be shimmed to level anyway. Anything that isn't covered by the new cupboards will have to be leveled. you want to use simular material.

Peel and stick vinyl tiles are about 1/16" . . . just get some cheap ones and double them up. Presto, you have filled the 1/8" . . .

Thanks for all the reply's, I like the idea of the peel and stick tiles and think I might go that way as I have some in the basement.

Back