remove toilet lid and painting inwall bathroom cabinet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gghrt000

Reaction score
I am going through a last piece of nits and picks of my renovation and stuck on couple of items:
I tried to remove the in-wall cabinet in bathroom but looks like a it is not going to get off easy so I just decided the paint. It has a plastic interior so wondering what paint would be the best.

Also tried to remove the toilet seat cover but could not figure out how this old ugly piece of cover would come off. Tried to force my way, twisting and pulling still not working. THere is no visible screws or nuts.

PHOTO_20140308_144559.jpg

PHOTO_20140308_144606.jpg

That toilet seat has to go. Visible rust. Dated look.

You need to feel under the bowl for the nuts holding it down. If they are not plastic, there is a good chance they are rusted and frozen. Your only alternative is to saw the bolts off ... yes, saw.

You will need a sawzall and a long metal cutting blade. Lay the blade flat on the bowl and saw sideways through the hold-down bolts. Be careful not to lift the blade because it can score the procelain.

Yes, I have done this many times.

Medicine cabinet? Looks like there are screws on the sides. Unscrew those babies and get a better cabinet. The senior center is calling and want that plastic thing back!

CABINET.jpg

OP,
The nuts that hold the seat on are accessed from underneath, directly below the hinges. You may need a socket wrench with deep well sockets to get at them.
If you have removed the screws on the inside that retain the medicine cabinet, it is just stuck. Pull harder or crack the plastic and take it out in pieces. Just be careful of the mirror glass.

thanks all, yes indeed i looked underneath and found the screws. It was pretty stuck not completely frozen so I was able to remove it with wrenches as socket ones was not deep enough. Anyways I installed the new one and it is looking great now. As fro the cabinet I guess I will be looking for just repaint.

OP,
It's kind of a low end cabinet. By the time you buy the primer and paint you'll have spent about as much as for a new cabinet and still have a low end cabinet with paint that is going to chip off. Your call.

OP,
It's kind of a low end cabinet. By the time you buy the primer and paint you'll have spent about as much as for a new cabinet and still have a low end cabinet with paint that is going to chip off. Your call.

yes this is pretty low quality stuff. Actually this is one of the few remaining items from initial condition prior to I started remodeling. There was a chandelier in the living room which has a shape of wing propelled aircraft! That was the first one I tore off when I started remodeling. But now I am so tired of all the work, I just dont wanna be involved in tearing and all types of physical stuff, so at least I will paint this stuff to give a better look. May be next year I will do some minor remodeling and will take care of few unwanted items left like this one :rofl:

lastly, i managed to pull out the medicine cabinet. (I hope it is a big misnomer as I have no intention to store any medicine anywhere in the bathroom :) ).
Made a cut around the edges and pull out and it came out nicely. Peeled the some paints around the edge so I might have to repaint.
Put a new one and looking good now.

Latest posts

Back