Removed window/Need to patch aluminum siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swindmill

Reaction score
I renovated a bathroom at my girlfriend's house a while back and had to remove a window. I need to patch up the outside, which is old aluminum siding. Eventually, I'll reside the entire wall with vinyl, but for now I need to patch it quickly. Looks aren't all that important, but I obviously need it water tight. I was thinking about using a sheet of that cheap exterior wood siding that is often used on sheds, but I'm not certain on how to make sure water can't get in around the edges, etc. Also, around the glass block transom is a little tricky due to the thin strips on the top and side. Can anyone help me out with some ideas? I'd love to do something that looks decent, but it's not imperative.

13897699895_dbcb52febe.jpg
[/url]IMG_4161 by swindmill, on Flickr[/IMG]

Not that I know but that never stopped me from having something to say.
I would have thought there should have been a flashing under the glass extending out over the siding below. Hopefully your house wraps goes under the glass and overlaps the wrap on the sides.
You need to fit a flashing at the top so it slides up behind the siding and wrap. At the bottom you need a flashing that will be behind the wrap and out over the siding.
The idea is to make sure the house wrap can handle any water that gets there can get out. Not sure how you seal to the glass
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im9lCsghBLY[/ame]

The plastic is wrapped under/behind the window on all sides. It sounds like I need to focus on doing the flashing correctly, and then whatever siding I use will be fine.

Vinyl and alminum siding leak alot the key is proper installation of doors and windows and house wrap.

Back