removing a fixture

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
This is probably a simple project, I really have no experience with any kind of "remodeling" so I thought I would see if you guys can help.

I have a light that is mounted over a window in my kitchen that I need to remove.

So what do I need to do to cap off the wiring safely?
Shutting the power off at the box to start then I'm thinking I need to cut a hole in the wall cut and cap the wiring and mount a box to house the capped wire.

Thanks for your help

Yes, that is correct & the box must remain accessable when the job is done.

Accessible is required. It can be from room or attic, as long as it is accessible.

Exactly what you need need to do with the wires depends on the wires present. If there is only one cable present then you could disconenct that cable at the switch and leave it in the wall as abandonded. If it is unpowered then it can be left abandonded.

Thanks for the replies!
So how do I disconnect the cable at the switch? Is it just a matter of unscrewing the cover and disconnecting the wire connected to the switch?

Thanks for the replies!
So how do I disconnect the cable at the switch? Is it just a matter of unscrewing the cover and disconnecting the wire connected to the switch?

Not quite. In order to abandon the cable you would break the connection to the switch and the white wires that are spliced in the switch box. That way there is no way that the cable could become energized in the future even under some rare wiring failure modes. To be clear what you do is you disconnect all of the insulated wires in the cable you are going to abandon, from any other wire in any other cable.
--
Tom Horne

Back