Removing drain assembly in shower stall

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum' started by swindmill, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Mar 3, 2010 #1

swindmill

swindmill

swindmill

I'm removing a fiberglass shower stall and the only thing holding it in at this point is the drain. It's a plastic assembly and it appears to attach by screwing in (I can lift the stall enough to see the underside of the assembly). How do I remove this type of drain assembly? The obvious answer is to unscrew it, but there is no way to get a hold of it.

2. Mar 4, 2010 #2

inspectorD

inspectorD

inspectorD

Housebroken Staff Member Admin Moderator

Try to get a pair of channel lock pliers, or smaller plier "handles" into the drain cover holes....and turn.;)

3. Mar 4, 2010 #3

swindmill

swindmill

swindmill

The drain cover just snapped in place so it turned freely without turning the actual assembly. I may just have to cut out around the drain and lift the stall up.

4. Mar 4, 2010 #4

rowdy48

rowdy48

rowdy48

Many of these pvc shower drains come with some type of key to screw it together. By key I mean a piece of metal that fits in a slot or between protrusions within the drain that you then use channel locks to turn and unscrew. They usually get tossed after a few years as no one remembers what it was. With the chrome cover off look for this. You can make a key out of an L bracket from lowes.

Good luck

5. Mar 4, 2010 #5

swindmill

swindmill

swindmill

Thanks. I noticed that slot. I'll try and fabricate something to get in there and turn.