Removing drain assembly in shower stall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swindmill

Reaction score
I'm removing a fiberglass shower stall and the only thing holding it in at this point is the drain. It's a plastic assembly and it appears to attach by screwing in (I can lift the stall enough to see the underside of the assembly). How do I remove this type of drain assembly? The obvious answer is to unscrew it, but there is no way to get a hold of it.

Try to get a pair of channel lock pliers, or smaller plier "handles" into the drain cover holes....and turn.;)

The drain cover just snapped in place so it turned freely without turning the actual assembly. I may just have to cut out around the drain and lift the stall up.

Many of these pvc shower drains come with some type of key to screw it together. By key I mean a piece of metal that fits in a slot or between protrusions within the drain that you then use channel locks to turn and unscrew. They usually get tossed after a few years as no one remembers what it was. With the chrome cover off look for this. You can make a key out of an L bracket from lowes.

Good luck

Thanks. I noticed that slot. I'll try and fabricate something to get in there and turn.

Latest posts

Back