Removing floor laminate for tile

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dborns

Reaction score
Ive got another flooring project I’ve started on in the laundry room. Right now, it has laminate(?) down. I guess that’s what it’s called; it’s the sheets that roll out and have adhesive on the bottom.
I bought a brand new floor scraper, but I’m still having a rough time even getting the top layer up. I did score it with a knife so it’ll tear into smaller squares, but it’s not coming up real easy.
I’m definitely not getting any of the gray covering you see in the pic to come up. I’m assuming that’s the backing that had the adhesive on it?
Does that gray material have to be removed, or can I leave it? I’m using the Ditra fabric underlayment when I install the new tile.

As you can see, it has torn a little, and I know I need to clean that off, but I’m most other areas the scraper isn’t doing anything to it

The long scraper isn’t doing a thing, so I’ve switched to a sharp putty knife, which is more tedious but working. It’s getting the top layer off, but again the gray stuff is barely coming off if at all.

A little C4 will take it right off. untitled.png

C4 is a good idea.....

I actually found that my Harbor Freight heat gun made quick work of it. Instead of using taping knives, I used a heavy-duty angled scraper. I scored lines in the paper, ran the gun over it for a few minutes on high, and it peeled right up in strips.
I got almost half the room done before I had to quit.

I just had another suggestion on the thickness issue. Right now, with concrete board and tile I’m almost 1/4” to tall for the door to open.
I now know I wasn’t using the correct terms. I got the linoleum up along with the backing that was glued to the floor. I was just asked if I removed the luan, which I didn’t know was there. I thought I was looking at subfloor but was told it was probably luan?
I just don’t remember seeing any screws or nail heads holding that down to subfloor. I’ll check for any fasteners when I get home.

800660A9-B8B9-430E-87C1-A05A034C5667.jpeg 49D6CD91-6A83-44EF-B7E7-8101253BE18A.jpeg 62AC10BA-BD93-47C7-97B5-902C5C68736D.jpeg I’m at a loss guys.... I don’t think I have Luan down as was mentioned. I pulled the vent cover and the flooring around it is 3/4”, so I’m betting it’s the subfloor.
What’s odd is when I look at the bare floor, I see no fasteners anywhere at all, but when I go to the basement, I can see where they nailed down the flooring, and missed some of the floor joists... I can see nails sticking down through the floor.
Also, there were a few spots that had squeaks, so to find where the floor joists were, I had run a 5/8” screw up from the basement right next to a joist so I could locate it and mark where the rest were upstairs so I could screw into them. That 5/8” screw barely stuck up through the floor, telling me all I have is 3/4” of plywood.
So I either get to use cement board and know that I can’t use that door until spring when I can raise it, or use the expensive fabric underlayment, and just hope I have clearance after the mortar and tile is laid.

I had a few minutes before picking up my girls to take a closer look at the floor. I busted up a piece around the vent and found that they had put 3/4” plywood over the subfloor. Again, I don’t see any nail or screw heads, so I’m betting it’s glued down to the subfloor.....
My plan is to use a circular saw, cut grooves in the floor, and bust it up. More fun.

I wouldn't pull up the plywood unless it is in really bad shape.
Now is the time to find and take care of the squeaks.
You don't have to raise the door, just trim a little off the bottom and replace the door sweep.
1/4" Hardie backer should be enough to get you ready for tiling.

If that is an interior door, just trim the bottom of it. Don't pull up the 3/4" plywood because it adds stability to your flooring. Otherwise the tiles may crack later on, even with the cement board.

Latest posts

Back