Removing Popcorn Ceilings

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secondseason

Reaction score
Popcorn ceilings are a common fixture in many homes, but most of the people that I talk to don't like them.

The truth is that getting rid of that ugly popcorn on your ceiling may seem like a daunting task, but you’d be surprised how easy it really is. Many

people assume that the texture is somehow “glued” to the ceiling, but the truth is that a little warm water and a few simple tools are all that’s needed

to remove it for good.

If you want to do something that will quickly improve the look of your home--and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg--this is a great project.

If you're interested in getting more information on exactly how to transform your ceiling, just visit

http://www.removeyourpopcornceiling.com/.

It really is easier than you think.

Yeah, it's easy to get that crap off. But what about the fact that more than likly your ceiling dry wall was not put up perfectly, and will look like crap i.e. not flat without the popcorn. Solution, hours and hours of spreading mud and sanding....no thanks.

Ok.. you're selling a book for $7.95...
If anyone asks me, I'm going to tell them How I would do it for free.
That's how this forum works.

I have no problem telling someone the basics of removing their popcorn ceiling--basically spray the ceiling with water and scrape off the popcorn. But to cover all the bases--how to determine if the ceiling has asbestos and what to do if it does, what to do if the ceiling has been painted, what to do with the surface after you remove the popcorn (the issue Harley mentioned--though in my experience it didn't take hours to deal with)--that takes a lot more time and space.

Yes, I do have a book that will explain all that. And yes, it's also true that anyone can get the basic information for free in this forum or several other forums. I just want people to know the information is available if they want to go that route.

Sad to say but I forsee forums putting DIY books completely out of business in the near future.

Back