Removing Short Wall - Could it be Load Bearing?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc123

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been doing a lot of research regarding load bearing walls and I know I should get an engineer for 100% confidence answer but I believe my situation is easy to understand via this post and hoping that someone can provide their expertise. I would like to take down a small wall in the kitchen that creates a little laundry area. i've opened up the wall and can see the post that goes to the celing. The wall perpendicular to this small wall is definitely load bearing (it has a large beam over the doorway and goes all the way up through the second floor. the small wall does not go up to the second floor. There is an empty room above the small wall.

I didn't think the small wall would be load bearing but I see the post holding up the wall is a 4X4 plus a 2X4 together. Quite a post for a small wall.

Question: can you tell if the small wall is safe to take down?

Much appreciated.

20130314_204538_resized.jpg

Dig into the drywall above the door, load bearing would be indicated with another beem there.
You can remove a little ceiling to make sure you don't have a join in a floor joist landing on it.
Just so you know, a normal corner has 2 2x4 nail in an L shape with another stud for drywall back on the other wall and a normal door has 2 2x4 nailed together on each side of the door.
When you have a corner and a door in the same place, there is a problem because you want to fill an area of 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" and 2 2x4 only give you 3" x 3 1/2". The normal is to fill the gap with a peice of plywood or whatever is laying around. If you are lucky enough to have a 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 post, it goes in. So it likely dosn't mean anything.
I hope that all makes sence and welcome to the site and double checking when your not sure is a great idea.

Listen to Neal .... I have seen many corners with doubled 2x4s as a shorthanded way to get a drywall nailer. If the "post" does not extend up, or if it is not holding up a header, then you can bet it is NOT a bearing wall.

BTW, I recently remodeled a house with that exact configuration (except the wall on the right was the exterior wall of the house)! We kept the corner post so we could build a laundry closet to the right ... Your old laundry area became the niche for the hot water heater.

Small world?? :D

Thank you for the replies. I will open up the left side of the laundry area to see if there is a beam. I don't think there would be one since the post goes all the way to the ceiling and stops there. Thanks again.

Back