Removing sliding door and building a wall !!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddy222

Reaction score
Need someone’s help on the proper steps of walling up the space after removing a sliding door.
So I have a 5 foot sliding door in the back of my house that I’m going to be removing and adding a wall. Removing the door is not the problem. I need to know the steps to build up the wall. I know that I’m going to be to get the outer wall bricked up but I’m going to wait until the spring to do that. I know that I remove the sliding door and continue the wall 16" center 2×4 across the opening. but what do I cover the outside of the 2×4s with ?? what size ply am I using?? weather proofing?? Insulation ?? Calking ??
If someone could help me out that would be great!

The outside can be sheeted with 7/16 osb or you can waite untill you have the door out and measure the thickness of the sheeting you have so you can match it. When sheeting leave 1/8 gap for expansion on the joints. House wrap or tar paper on the outside should over lap 12" which you will not be able to do on the sides or top so tape those joints with red tuck tape. Insulate with 4' thick batt insulation it comes for 16' or 24" on center.
If your house has poly vapour barrier on the outside wall use 6mill poly and seal it around the edges with aquasticle sealer which comes in a tube for chaulking gun. Mtch the thickness of the drywall you have.
I hope this helps and welcome.

The outside can be sheeted with 7/16 osb or you can waite untill you have the door out and measure the thickness of the sheeting you have so you can match it. When sheeting leave 1/8 gap for expansion on the joints. House wrap or tar paper on the outside should over lap 12" which you will not be able to do on the sides or top so tape those joints with red tuck tape. Insulate with 4' thick batt insulation it comes for 16' or 24" on center.
If your house has poly vapour barrier on the outside wall use 6mill poly and seal it around the edges with aquasticle sealer which comes in a tube for chaulking gun. Mtch the thickness of the drywall you have.
I hope this helps and welcome.

Because the outside is not going to be bricked up for 2-3 months should I be adding anything to the OSB joints ?? weather/waterproofing ??

Latest posts

Back