Removing walls to open my living room

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris

So my house is on the smaller side. We really should move into a bigger place but we like our neighborhood and neighbors so we will stick it out a few more years.

So to separate my living room and kitchen the builder put in a double sided gas fireplace and a couple walls. Our living room is tiny and only has one way we can set it up to be functional and it annoys me. On the other hand my kitchen is large and has an area for a table in front of the fireplace that we don't use. There is probably close to 120 square feet that sits empty with no purpose. The fireplace used to get used maybe once a year and then I pulled the gas setup out for wood use but it being double sided it would always let smoke in the house from one side or the other so we just abandoned the idea all together. It doesn't get cold around here and I feel that the space is much more important that a fireplace in this house.

I am pretty sure but not 100% on if any of these walls are load bearing. I am going into the attic tonight to take a look around.

I added a picture below of my plan.

My plan is to demo out the walls and patch back the floor with matching tile and the walls with drywall. I do have 4 switches to move, two of them are about 6" from a wall that will stay so I plan to move them to that wall. The others are going to have to go somewhere else (haven't decided yet). For the roof I have a 3' x 3' x 3' chimney that is stucco with a metal Flue insert, I plan on removing the Flue insert and roofing the top of the chimney to match my existing clay tile roof. I think that will be much easier than removing the entire stucco box and patching a huge hole in the roof and you can barely see it coming over the ridge of the house from the front and in the back the patio will hide it completely.

What do you think? Any advice you can give?

Fireplace removal.jpg

If you are removing the fireplace, leaving the box on the roof may be a concern.
Rafters and ceiling joists or trusses?

Trusses.

I will confirm today but I believe it is a framed box that is stucco coated. Hallow with the flue running through it.

I would vote for leaving the chimney chase and capping off the top. You'll open another can if worms taking it down and trying to patch in an area that large.

Just my :2cents:

If it is trusses with a 12" pipe running up you should be in luck, But you never know, You are looking to make sure all the trusses in that area look the same and land on outside walls.

Yeah, I have looked in the past but I am going up again today to confirm everything. The house was built in 96 and is in So Cal so it has to be made of popsicle sticks and elmers glue.

The permit process is tough in my city, I am going to have more work and money in that than actual work.

Here are a couple pics from up in my attic. The flue does just come through. No real chimney or anything.ImageUploadedByHome Repair1401236225.251494.jpgImageUploadedByHome Repair1401236244.624439.jpgImageUploadedByHome Repair1401236263.264052.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Nice trusses, lots of cuts and scrapes for the guy that put them up.
I would go with a cupula or something so the box dosn't look like you took a chimney out.

_wsb_400x300_cupola_weathervan1.JPG

We did a Spanish Tile roof a couple years ago and they put up some chases like that and installed power roof vents in them to ventilate the attic...just a thought if you don't have attic exhaust.

I've thought about a whole house fan but my house stays cool so I don't know if I want to waste the money.

I was admiring it on the other thread. It's always best to make it beautiful before you rip it out.:D

Tell me about it! I did that after I bought the house in 08, it's nice but it just takes up so much room. There are several way better places they could have put the fireplace that would not be in the way.

I did tile for a few years and own all the equipment so its at least easy for me to throw something like this together.

I thought about that and may do it for selling purposes but I don't need or want a fireplace in this house.

It would be more of a selling point but my house is already set up for a certain type of person anyway. If you don't drink or cook or entertain you probably shouldn't buy this place.

Back