rendering a standard uk three pin single gang wall socket obsolete

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greeny

Reaction score
well guys n gals thats the request in a nut shell
as ive got to move my radiator on to another wall
and they all have a power socket on them
and they are all in the way
so ive got to lose one of them
i havent exposed the wiring yet but im assuming there is an earth a black and (two reds?a switch wire or are the two reds only in the light switches)
thanx in advance
john

Good Morning John:
Welcome to the Forum. Apperantly UK uses different wiring and colors than we do in USA but I will attempt to give you the help you asked for.
It appears the red wire is used for a switch leg which means the switch simply breaks the flow of power (when its off) or completes the flow of power (when its on). Therefore, you probably will not find a red wire in the box for the power socket you have mentioned.
If there is only one each of the other colors, you can put a yellow wire-nut on the end of each one and put a blank cover over the box. If there are two of any color, tie them together with a yellow or red wire nut and blank cover. Two of the same color means the power is comming to the box on one of them and continuing to another box on the other.
Again, your color and usage is different which may throw me way off base. Make sure you turn the power off on the circut before you start and, when you're finished you can turn it back on for the 'smoke test'. If no smoke appears when you turn it back on, we got it right.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back