Renovation Span

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozenstar

Reaction score
I am wondering how often do you guys renovate certain areas (rooms, house area, furniture, lights,etc) of your house?

Do you always alot a particular period of time (months or years) before you renovate certain area of your house or rooms?

Or do you just replace them or renovate them when they are too old enough and doesn't look good anymore?

Please share your thoughts. :) Thanks!

For me the main areas of consideration while renovating a room or living room are design, construction, electricals, flooring, plastic painting & finishes and furnishings related to it.

Well I guess you didn't really understand my question? I am not asking about what areas to consider but rather the renovation span, or a certain period of time that you need to renovate your house again.

I think it would totally depend on what the finished wall is going to be like and how the weight is going to be transferred, there's plenty of good folks here that will help you - but cosmetically and aesthetically to have a lolly column in the middle of the dining room/living room combo is well just not the way the house was built, with the span supported by the columns you would not need to go through all of that in the basement.

Best Regards,

I think it would totally depend on what the finished wall is going to be like and how the weight is going to be transferred, there's plenty of good folks here that will help you - but cosmetically and aesthetically to have a lolly column in the middle of the dining room/living room combo is well just not the way the house was built, with the span supported by the columns you would not need to go through all of that in the basement.

Best Regards,

Did you really read my question? :confused::confused::confused:

In my case, determining the period of time between making changes to our house is easy: my wife tells me when to do it. Her criteria is usually when she sees what one of her friends has done.

But if you want a more logical approach, here are some of my thoughts:

(1) Always try to keep your house in a condition where it could sell quickly. That means keeping the general maintenance current and the decorating reasonably "fresh". We tend to paint a room every four years. I always try to look at our house as if I was going to buy it again.

(2) Don't renovate so that you have the most expensive house in your neighborhood.

(3) I've found that getting rid of "clutter" makes everything look better. When things are cluttered, my wife thinks its time to do something.

(4) We generally replace appliances when they stop working. Having said that, we once did a kitchen renovation by refinishing the cabinets and changing the sink and counter top. It was worth changing the appliances to a more modern look to complete the project.

(5) Children (having them) or (becoming teenagers) or (moving out) are good times to renovate. It's also the time your furniture needs to be replaced.

I know this isn't exactly what you want as an answer, but I don't believe there is any one size fits all answer. We have a couch we bought when our children went to college and was fine until we moved near our very active grandchildren. Now it needs replacement.

In my case, determining the period of time between making changes to our house is easy: my wife tells me when to do it. Her criteria is usually when she sees what one of her friends has done.

But if you want a more logical approach, here are some of my thoughts:

(1) Always try to keep your house in a condition where it could sell quickly. That means keeping the general maintenance current and the decorating reasonably "fresh". We tend to paint a room every four years. I always try to look at our house as if I was going to buy it again.

(2) Don't renovate so that you have the most expensive house in your neighborhood.

(3) I've found that getting rid of "clutter" makes everything look better. When things are cluttered, my wife thinks its time to do something.

(4) We generally replace appliances when they stop working. Having said that, we once did a kitchen renovation by refinishing the cabinets and changing the sink and counter top. It was worth changing the appliances to a more modern look to complete the project.

(5) Children (having them) or (becoming teenagers) or (moving out) are good times to renovate. It's also the time your furniture needs to be replaced.

I know this isn't exactly what you want as an answer, but I don't believe there is any one size fits all answer. We have a couch we bought when our children went to college and was fine until we moved near our very active grandchildren. Now it needs replacement.

Thanks for taking time to take down your thoughts about the topic Con65! :D I appreciate your reply. I'll take these as an advice! ;)

Back