Repair and Smooth Out Rough Concrete Foundation Edge in Garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI Guys, I'm installing drywall in garage to make it a nice clean space and theres is an ugly rough footing/foundation edge between the floor and the future drywall. that I wanted to repair/finish.make it look better .- i guess less rough, like a mini curb... ( the bottom of drywall will be at the level of the existing plywood in pic)

So what can I do? one idea was to make a square CURB LIKE mold with piece of wood ( see pic with hand ) and pour concrete? I see a problem with this though - the floor is not level so I wouldn't get a level pour up to the top edge of the bottom 2x4 footer, and my mold would probably leak. :0

another idea - can I somehow mix up concrete to a paste like consistency and manually spread it on with a putty knife and smooth it out that way? if so, what would be the steps? Prepping surface etc...

Also, I went to Lowes and saw FastSet ALLCRETE - seems to be a general purpose concrete - will that work??

PS Im assuming any demo / shaving off of this ugly edge is a no go since its foundation?

appreciate any advice in advance

🙏

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 10.59.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-11-02 at 11.01.11 PM.pngScreen-Shot-2020-11-02-at-11.01.22-PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-02 at 11.00.58 PM.png

Last edited:
Here is a thought. Get yourself some cellular PVC planks. Azek is one brand. Hold it up off the floor so it is level and then using a compass scribe the bottom to the floor. Use a circular saw to cut to the line and install this with construction adhesive to the concrete. then cap it with another piece of Azek.

Scibing:

Thanks for that, Sparky now I know about PVC planks... Although for this 'Id like to stick with a concrete based solution, just need to find out what material to buy that can be applied in a paste like form with a putty knife as I know concrete is usually liquid? MAybe Ill just mix some paste up and try on a test area, I was going to clean/ apply some PVA glue as primer and paste on some pasty concrete mix.

Thanks for that, Sparky now I know about PVC planks... Although for this 'Id like to stick with a concrete based solution, just need to find out what material to buy that can be applied in a paste like form with a putty knife as I know concrete is usually liquid? MAybe Ill just mix some paste up and try on a test area, I was going to clean/ apply some PVA glue as primer and paste on some pasty concrete mix.

You'd probably want to use a mortar mix and not concrete. Mortar mix wouldn't have any gravel in it, so you could apply it as thin as you need. It is difficult to feather out concrete due to the aggregate. Concrete doesn't have to be liquid, they use a pretty stiff mix here when the pour curb and gutters, they have a machine that forms the shape and they don't use forms so the mix has to be pretty plastic and not liquid.

Back