repair outdoor faucet seat?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mx13

Reaction score
I let my outdoor Mansfield frostproof faucet leak for too long, and the seat is now visibly damaged, so it won't seal completely even with a new washer. I have a home repair book that suggests using a seat grinder to restore the surface of a damaged faucet, but the illustration shows a bathroom type faucet. Anyone know if a grinder is available that can reach into a frostproof faucet, or will it be necessary to replace the faucet?

I don't know the model number (looked briefly, maybe I missed it if it's not conspicuous). It takes a 1/2" washer (size 00).

Thanks,
Mike

That sounds like a niche market of a niche market
it may be possible to get one that long, but it would be a specialty item. You might try to see it you could fit the grinder part onto something long enough to reach it

You should be able to find one at a good plumbing supplier. I have one I bought years ago but haven't seen them in most stores.

Hello Mike and Welcome to the Forum:
Don't beat yourself up trying to fix the old faucet just turn the water main off and replace the faucet; they don't cost all that much.
Glenn

Back