Repair Peeling Paint

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fancy Hands

Reaction score
I have some damage on two walls and ceiling in my finished basement. I plan on painting the walls but wanted to get some advice on how to repair these spots.

Attachments

• paint.jpeg
    paint.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 18
  • paint (2).jpeg
    paint (2).jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 17
Scrape of what is loose with a putty knife, lightly sand the edges, thinly spread some joint compound into the area with a wide drywall knife, let dry sand again, prime and paint.

That’s how I would do it others will have different approaches.

Welcome to the forum.

Sand those distinct looking edges until they are fizzy and start to look irregular. That’s called feathering. If you can see a distinct sharp looking edge it. I’ll show through new paint.

The bad news is it appears the paint is letting go from the primer, and that can't be helped. The good news it can be "fixed", atleast for a while. Get some touch up paint on that area, and make sure it seals the area between the edge of the peeling paint and the primer, so moisture can't get under it, then keep an eye on it, and touch up the paint if it starts to spread. You may be able to keep the peeling from getting worse for many years.

You need to get under any loose edges with a thin scraper or drywall knife, and lift off any paint that is letting go.

Otherwise, even though it might seem pretty solid, when you paint it then it will just let go all the way, and bubble up.

Back