Repairing cat urine damage- carpet pad & subfloor- advice?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beelzebubba

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the best way to clean up/repair cat urine damage on a carpeted floor. I have already pulled up the carpet and removed the urine-soaked pad from the affected area. The subfloor underneath the pad is saturated in some areas and still wet. I plan to paint over the subflooring with KILZ oil-based interior primer/sealant to contain the odor. But I'm wondering if I should somehow "clean" the subfloor prior to applyling KILZ? Or should I just continue to wait for it to dry out and then paint it? I'm also planning to replace the tack strips rather than painting them.

Once I have the subfloor sealed, I plan to install new padding and (hopefully) re-use the original carpet if I can steam clean the smell out of it. If not, I'll just replace the carpet. Luckily, it's just a 3' x 8' bedroom closet that I'm working with, so I think I can replace the carpet just in the closet and "seam" it at the threshold with the original bedroom carpet....I think. :help:

Any advice or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!

Back