Replace 220 V single outlet with 125 V double outlet on 40A circuit

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dclynds

Reaction score
Hi all. The fridge in my garage just today started tripping the GFCI outlet it has been plugged into for about a year. I believe the fridge is starting to die, but I may be able to get some more life out of it connected to a regular outlet. Next to the GFCI outlet is a single 220V outlet that is on its own 40A circuit (two 20A breakers connected), which I have not used in the 10 years that I've lived here. I believe the 220 V outlet is the only thing on the circuit and was used by the previous homeowner for a table saw. My question is: Are there any dangers in replacing the single 220V outlet with a standard 125V double non-GFCI outlet which I would then use to power the refrigerator, which would be the only thing on the circuit? Is there something I should know about putting a 15A outlet on a 40A circuit so that it is the only thing on the circuit?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230608_180631.jpg
    20230608_180631.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230608_180809.jpg
    20230608_180809.jpg
    662.3 KB · Views: 0
It's a 20 A circuit just two legs of a 240 V circuit. You need to reconnect the wire so that you're only using one breaker with one hot and a neutral to the 120 V outlet. Can the breakers be separated so they don't trip together? Many of us have 15 A receptacles on 20 A breakers.

It's a 20 A circuit just two legs of a 240 V circuit. You need to reconnect the wire so that you're only using one breaker with one hot and a neutral to the 120 V outlet. Can the breakers be separated so they don't trip together? Many of us have 15 A receptacles on 20 A breakers.
Thanks Eddie_T. I watched a YT video and learned more about it. I see what you are saying and yes, I have several single spares at the bottom of my panel that I could swap out for the dual breaker. I will also disconnect the proper wire and connect it to the neutral bar. All with the main breaker off, of course. Appreciate the help!

I had a PTHP that started tripping the GFCI plug breaker (on the cord). I just disconnected the green wire and it quit. I did check the chassis for stray voltage and found none. I don't understand what was going on as GFCI breakers don't measure current to ground though I didn't know that at the time.

Sometime GFCI breakers wear out and a replacement might work. Is the circuit dedicated to the fridge?

By code in a garage I believe GFCI is required. If you plan on going around that why not just take the GFCI in question out and replace it with a normal non-GFCI outlet. That would leave your 240V circuit for future use like maybe a EV charging station or a table saw, welder etc.

When my house was built in 1999 they installed a single (not a duplex) outlet in the garage for a freezer. It is not GFCI protected. I believe at some point they changed the code to require GFCIs on all garage circuits. I'm with Bud though, if swapping the GFCI outlet with a new one doesn't fix it, put in a regular outlet until you replace that fridge. Does the GFCI trip for anything else?

@bud16415 is correct - I think it's NEC 210.8. Before I'd mess with the 220v, I'd just replace the GFCI with a duplex - either way you do it will be (in theory) out of compliance but that would be the easiest.

Plus, hopefully its a 20A circuit (if it's yellow NM cable) and if so, you can use a 20A duplex outlet which may buy you some additional time if the fridge's compressor is heading south

Hi All. Just an update to close out this thread: I wanted the fridge isolated to its own 20A circuit, so I swapped out the double-pull breaker with two single 20A breakers. I rewrapped one of the two hot wires from the original 240V circuit in white tape and connected it to the neutral bus bar. Then I popped out the double-pull and replaced it with two single breakers: one breaker connected to the remaining black wire from the original 240V circuit and the other breaker not connected to any wire (just seated there as a spare to fill the gap). Then I swapped out the 240V outlet with a 120V duplex outlet, turned on the main breaker, and voila, a dedicated circuit for my garage fridge. If I ever have need for the 240V outlet in the future, I know how to revert back to it. Thank you all for the advice, suggestions, and tips. Really nice to have this community as a resource.

Attachments

• 20230610_111758_copy_1209x1612.jpg
    20230610_111758_copy_1209x1612.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230610_111811_copy_1209x1612.jpg
    20230610_111811_copy_1209x1612.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 0
Back