Replace bottom garage door panel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdrymer

Reaction score
Hello - The bottom panel of my overhead garage door has rusted and caused corrosion to the point where it really needs replacing. The door is supported by an extension spring lift system (no garage door opener). I don't have a set of come along's to tension the cable while I remove the lift cable away that's attached to the bottom of the bottom panel. As an alternative I was thinking of doing the following (tell me if you see any issues):

1. Raise the door entirely to relieve spring tension
2. Prevent the door from moving with a pair of vice grips attached over the tracks on the 2nd panel (above the bottom)
3. With the tension off the springs, remove the lift cable from each end of the bottom panel
4. Remove the hinges fastening the bottom panel to the 2nd panel above
5. Support the bottom panel and carefully lower it down to rest on the ground
6. Remove bottom panel from tracks and install new panel
7. Repeat Steps 1-5 in Reverse sequence

P.S. This is an older door (Raynor "Decade" model) so if I can not locate an OEM replacement I may need to replace the entire door, but wanted to see if this replacement method would work if I can find a new individual panel.

There will still be some spring tension with the door full open.
Don't attempt any short cuts. Unload the spring by hand and then you can proceed however you want.
Besides you'll want to make sure both sides are equal and rebalance the door after panel replacement.

When the door was installed the springs were loaded after the assembly was complete. Reversing the process will insure your safety.

Back