Replace leaking compression stop valve with sharkbite

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very true , but he seems to be having no luck & pipe dope will not hurt anything . Not sure the same an be said about the Teflon tape .

No, the fitting seems to be working now. No leaks, another quarter turn seems to have done it. I'll check on it for the next couple days.

I'll eventually need to replace the other valve, will use pipe dope when I do that one. Just picked up a tube at HD today.

The ferrule little brass ring with tapers will constrict around the tubing and the tapers provide a metal to metal seal. The threads and nut first act as the crimping device and then the force to seal the tapers. It is 100% a mechanical seal no glue or anything required.

The trouble with tape is it reduces the friction and it is very easy to over tighten fittings that are taped even on tapered threads that it is made for. Paste is also Teflon and will do the same thing but will get into the ferrule and prevent a metal on metal seal. Save the products for the taper threaded end.

It is just so much easier to use a shark bite fitting and they come apart just as easy as they go together.

When I was working maintenance & ran 2" threaded black iron for air line , we used pipe dope in quart containers . Rectoseal , I think .

Wyr
God bless

I was concerned about using sharkbite since when I practiced with one on a spare bit of copper pipe, I couldn't get it on the full inch in the directions. I was prepared to install the sharkbite if needed, just was concerned about trying it and leaking.

The ferrule little brass ring with tapers will constrict around the tubing and the tapers provide a metal to metal seal. The threads and nut first act as the crimping device and then the force to seal the tapers. It is 100% a mechanical seal no glue or anything required.

The trouble with tape is it reduces the friction and it is very easy to over tighten fittings that are taped even on tapered threads that it is made for. Paste is also Teflon and will do the same thing but will get into the ferrule and prevent a metal on metal seal. Save the products for the taper threaded end.

It is just so much easier to use a shark bite fitting and they come apart just as easy as they go together.

Back