Replace smoke detectors - same model or something new?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfw

Reaction score
We have six smoke detectors in our house - all Kidde Lifesaver 1275 (ionization). Those have a connector to a hardwire power source, and a 9V battery backup. Over the years, the batteries went on all of them and I just never put new batteries in, or put them back on the ceiling. (Usually because they invariably would fail at night and wake us up, causing me to rip it out of the ceiling as quickly as possible and then go back to sleep and forget about it.) Now we'd like to actually have the house protected again. I tried putting batteries in a couple of them. Neither showed a power light. One responded to the test button, the other didn't. They're all over 13 years old. (And I know ionization detectors are only good for 10 years in general.)

So, clearly, I should replace all of them. The question is whether I should replace them with basically identical alarms that fit the same mounting plate and hardwire connector, or whether I should update to a better detector, like ones that also detect carbon monoxide, ones that talk to each other so if one sounds, they all do, etc. I'm *assuming* that to do that, I would need to replace the mounting plates and wiring harnesses - unless there are new alarms that use the same plate and connector as these older models.

Any opinions?
Thanks!

Not even sure if there is a question here.
Absolutely, definitely replace them with the latest and greatest. They will come with new mounting hardware and connectors. Chances of finding the identical item from 13yrs. ago seems pretty slim.

I haven't seen hardwired versions available at the home centers these days. They seem to be going with ones with a 10 year life and non-replaceable battery. Ten years is the life expectancy of smoke detectors ability to actually detect smoke.

Better ones are linked together wirelessly.

Not even sure if there is a question here.
Absolutely, definitely replace them with the latest and greatest. They will come with new mounting hardware and connectors. Chances of finding the identical item from 13yrs. ago seems pretty slim.
Well, Kidde still makes something called the 1275 ... but it looks a little different.
https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-1275-Hardwire-Feature-Battery/dp/B0027SH9YI.

I might have to go look at one in a store to see if it's compatible with the old mounting plate. Yeah, I can just replace the plates and wiring harnesses if needed. More work when I've got other things going on, but probably worth it.

Back