Replaced faucet cartridge, now no water!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nefid

Reaction score
So Sunday, 2 days ago, decided to fix a leaky kitchen faucet. 1 handle Pfister. Leaked only from bottom around the granite. Guessed (without too much confidence, I'm new to home ownership) the cause could be from cartridge so I removed it, couldn't find a replacement locally, so ordered one online. Slapped it in today, screwed it all together, turned the water back on from under the sink and nothing. Not even a drip. Took it back apart figuring the cartridge had a plug or something, but nope, it was good to go. Even took out cartridge and left it empty and turned on water expecting it to spray everywhere. Nothing. All other sinks in house work, but this is bone dry now.

I did get nervous the source of the leak was so far below the cartridge I was replacing it might bot be the right fix so I also tightened the one of the screws under the sink which anchors the faucet. Any chance I could have damaged something there? I moved one screw about 3/4 of a turn.

I'm totall flummoxed here. The only water turned off was the two valves under the sink. They were off for about 2 days total.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The valves type under the sink, a quarter turn ball valve or a regular old keep turning to the stop type. You might disconnect the feed to the sink and prove that the valve is working at that point by just turning it a bit to see if water is coming there.

The valves controlling the water to the faucet are called angle stops.

The cartridge may not have been the problem, however a washer might have been and they should have also been replaced.

Could you have put the cartridge in 180 degrees off from the original? I've done that and depending on the design you don't get water.

Thinking the stem on the angle stop broke and isn't turning the water on but, to have this happen to both hot and cold at the same time, not likely.

I replaced the valve in my Pfister faucet last year. There are 2 large rubber O rings that also should be replaced inside the faucet body that seal the cartridge, top & bottom. That was probably your original leak problem. Plenty of videos on this brand in YouTube. AS for the shutoffs, my guess is that they both are probably bad but can be replaced easily with new 1/4 turn shutoffs that have compression fittings (no solder required)
Dave Mason

For what it's worth, here's a quick and easy way to check if your valves (or angle stops) are working correctly. Grab a faucet line and a bucket. Disconnect your faucet from the valve and connect the faucet line. Place the open end of the line into the bucket and turn on the valve. If the valve works water will come shooting out. This may not fix your faucet problem but it will narrow down where your problem is.

Back