Replacing a couple of tiles, and then painting them

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
In my bathroom surround, there is 1 missing tile that the former owners have covered in caulk. It also has a couple of tiles that were drilled through and then caulked up to prevent leaks. I want to replace just the damaged ones and then paint it. I'd rather not redo them as that is a lot more work and $$ than I really want to spend.

How do I remove the caulk from the missing one?
How do I remove the broken tiles without breaking others?

How do I then paint the tiles? What kind of paint? What kind of prep? Is this easier than I think it'll be?

Remove the caulk with a sharpened stif putty knife, or old chisel.

Using a masonry bit, drill the tile in several places, near the corners, break out and remove using the same old chisel.

To paint the tile you'll need to sand the glaze off, entirely, then prime with an oil based primer.

Remove the caulk with a sharpened stif putty knife, or old chisel.

Using a masonry bit, drill the tile in several places, near the corners, break out and remove using the same old chisel.

To paint the tile you'll need to sand the glaze off, entirely, then prime with an oil based primer.

It might be worth redoing the tile then. The replacement doesn't seem to be the hard part, but the painting seems more work than it is worth.

True, however, that's my method, and others may differ.

Back