Replacing a Hose Bibb, Vinyl Mounting Block removal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klopow

Reaction score
Greetings,

I recently purchased an older home, and I'm trying to replace the backyard hose bibb. However, it appears that I can't get to the water pipe (and the base of the existing hose bibb) without first removing the mounting block. Is there an easy way to DIY? I figure I just need to expose the water pipe, and use two channel locks to remove the bibb and replace. For reference, I looked at this thread: Remove a vinyl mounting block cover?

Would a zipper tool be necessary to get at the mounting block?
Any suggestions would be appreciated -- thank you for your time.

Attachments

• 20210922_080438.jpg
    20210922_080438.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210922_080445.jpg
    20210922_080445.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 8
Thanks Sparky, I will try removing the bonnet and seeing if the washer might be replaced instead of the whole bibb. In fact, it does appear the leak is at the bonnet anyhow, so it might save me a lot of headache to at least try that.

I have no access to the back of the bibb without removing the mounting block. I believe the back of the bibb is flared out inside the housing between the mount/vinyl siding, but I'm not sure because the mounting block is pretty secure. I put a bit of force into trying to remove it, but didn't want to break it so I stopped.

Your hose bib is likely soldered on to the plumbing so even gaining access to the mounting bracket isn't going to allow you to remove it. Hopefully tightening the backing nut or replacing the washer will fix your problem. Otherwise I think you're looking at some drywall repairs to get full access to replace it. Along with removing the siding backer.

What am I missing here, this is in Oregon. there is no freeze proof still cock, PVC used outside that's going to freeze and brake.

I haven't had a chance yet to do the check on the washer, but it's likely the culprit. The house was built in 1978 and this appears to be the original sillcock, probably from 1978 as well.

As for the PVC, it's just a temporary solution for a cheapy sprinkler system, which will be upgraded some time in the future. Thanks for the help, gonna look into the bonnet over the weekend.

I haven't had a chance yet to do the check on the washer, but it's likely the culprit. The house was built in 1978 and this appears to be the original sillcock, probably from 1978 as well.

As for the PVC, it's just a temporary solution for a cheapy sprinkler system, which will be upgraded some time in the future. Thanks for the help, gonna look into the bonnet over the weekend.
Is there a valve to turn the water off to just the outside faucet? If so, you'll want to turn off the water if a deep freeze is expected, and make sure you don't have a hose connected to it. Open the tap and let the water drain out.

Latest posts

Back