Replacing a Latch on My Shed Door = PROBLEM!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeezix

Reaction score
I'm having a helluva hard time trying to replace a simple latch on my shed doors. After the first attempt the latch would not slip over the loop easily. For the 2nd attempt I left the loop alone and installed a new 1 x 4.5 inch vertical board on the jamb side of the left door. (I'm working with the horizontal latch in the middle of the door.) I thought I had everything correctly aligned but when I put the first screw into the latch, it would not slip over the loop because again, they were too far apart.

I'm going to fiddle with it tomorrow but I though I'd ask here and see if anyone has any tips for me. Attached is a photo of the front of the shed and a photo of the latch I'm working with.

20181024 Shed Doors 01 600 px.jpg

latch.jpg

You have to favor the latch in one direction as the slot is longer than needed because when starting down over the locking side it will hit. I mount the lock side and then move the latch side until I see it clears and then mark it. the slot will be off center.

Hope that helps.

What is the "lock" side - the part with the pivot arm?

Yes, the lock side is the the right side in your second picture. Mount it first.
Then, put a piece of tape over the end of the latch side with the screw holes. Move it around until you get it in a position where it opens and closes easily over the lock side, then tape it down. Test it again. If still successful, drill pilot holes through your tape. Screw it in, then remove the remnants of the tape.

If you have double sided tape, that works even better...

The screws will go back in the same holes, fill the screw holes with wooden match sticks or something so the screw will go to the new location.

Back