Replacing bathroom hardware

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbattisti

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'll preface this as I do with all of my posts here:

I fall squarely into the category of "severely home improvement inept". So, if you are kind enough to respond to this thread, please assume the following:

a. If it's a tool other than a hammer, I probably need detailed instructions about what the tool is.

b. If it's something I have to buy that could POSSIBLY have more than one size, type, or model, please help me figure out exactly which one to buy, because I am genetically predisposed to selecting the wrong one!

So, in other words, while I appreciate your help in advance, please don't say "Oh, no problem, just whammus the frammus with a 3/8" circular frindebund!"

OK, caveat over, here's my story today:

In my new townhouse, the previous owners did a spotty job of installing the bathroom hardware. In two of the three bathrooms, the toilet paper holder and towel holders have either come out of the wall completely, or are on the verge of doing so. In several of the cases, the screws are actually falling out of the wall. They've been screwed right into the wall, and it looks like the holes themselves are no longer stable. Not sure if they used the wrong kind of screws, didn't hit a stud, or what.

At any rate, the bottom line is, I'd like to replace these. My questions are:

1. Once I take the existing hardware off, I won't be able to use the existing mangled holes. How do I patch up these holes?

2. For small hardware like toilet paper holders, do you need to hit a stud, or do you just use drywall screws or something?

Any other general suggestions I should think about?

Thanks!

Steve

We had the same problem a while back with our toilet paper holder. The mangled wall would not hold it. We tried to use bigger screws, then screw holders that you screw the screw into and it expands on the back side to hold it against the wall, but no luck either.

We ended up cutting that piece of wall out (since we mangled it so badly), and put in a piece of board between the two studs. We of course had to put drywall back over the board, and mud and paint it to match the rest of the wall (which it did), then screwed our toilet paper holder right onto the board. It has been in place for over 2 years now and holding strong.

Allison

Back