Replacing Broken Door Glass

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep reading that it's easier to install a pre-hung door than just the slab. Of course this doesn't take into account my door jamb being the wrong size. So you think it would be easier to just install the door alone?

Some of that, in particular instances, my be true, however, in the touted simplicity of installing something pre-fitted and assembled, what additional skill/s have you learned, that could be passed on or what difficulties have you learned/methodology, to overcome.

Were it I, I would repair the jamb and install a combination, 1 piece strike plate, then a new door.

I keep reading that it's easier to install a pre-hung door than just the slab. Of course this doesn't take into account my door jamb being the wrong size. So you think it would be easier to just install the door alone?
In a conventional sense, that would be true. Replacing the slab requires you to order one without the hinges mortised, which is very difficult to find in the box stores. Then, once you receive the slab you need to, not only match the type and size of the hinge (square/rounded corners), but then mortise them at the proper height. Judging from the age of your home, there is no telling what type of hinge was used or what size it is. Chances are they will not match today's conventional products.

All manufacturers have differing hinge heights due mostly to exclusivity purposes, but I have seen two doors from the same plant before with different heights as well.

Back