replacing door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jillyfish

Reaction score
I want to replace my outside back door with a door that has a vented window and a doggie door. Here is the deal..........I am a woman on my own and not a handy one. I want to get a door that is NOT prehung and hang it on my existing hinges........is that even possible?

Welcome.

The door, in the venting configuration should be readily available at any hrdw. vendor, as will as the "doggy door", which you'll need to install as an after market.

Pilot the hinge screws to avoid damaging the door style.

You are in a fairly temperate zone, although it can get a little chilly at nite, so you do not necessarily need to address that.

So there is no such thing as a door that is just a door that has hinges that will just fit on my existing hinges?

So there is no such thing as a door that is just a door that has hinges that will just fit on my existing hinges?

The short answer is no.

There are what in the trades are referred to as, "book doors", which are predrilled for both the hinges and locksets, however the likelihood of yours being that, is not. If the door, and it depends upon it's age, the age of the dwelling and if it had been replaced some time in the past, and also if it was raw hung, did the person who did the work follow common standards.

A prehung door 99% of the time is far faster to install then a custom fit door.
As mentioned I've never seen a new door come with a doggy door already installed.
Only time I would use a blank door is if it was an odd ball size.

You can get a door slab (which is just the door). They generally come without the hinges attached. Some will already have the hole for the knob & lockset drilled but not all. The type of door you want is a bit on the pricey side. It might be best if you hire someone to put in the door for you. Since it sounds like it's an exterior door, you will need to make sure there is a proper sill pan, header flashing, etc to keep water out. Prehung do require more prep (removing old frame) but they are easier to do than having to add hinges, drill a hole in the door slab, & get everything lined up properly. If you had a door custom made to your current door's configuration with the holes already drilled & hinges on, it would only be a matter of popping the hinge pins (assuming the same size hinges are used) and swapping out the slab/door.

Post many pics of existing.

Post good pics from Google of what you are trying to achieve.

Or a sketch, crappy is good enough to start your journey.

Just to clarify:

Yes, there is no such thing as a door that is just a door that has hinges that will just fit on my existing hinges ;) ,

Just to clarify:
Yes, there is no such thing as a door that is just a door that has hinges that will just fit on my existing hinges ;) ,

Correct, however there are doors that have been prepped, and that prep, may in fact, be easily fitted in your existing opening, with marginal modification.

Your turn, pencil, paper, tape measure, drive.

If your asking me if I think you should do it then my answer is no.
But I'm a nobody, but here is why I answer this way.

I had a tenant that tried to do exactly what your describing. It turned out horrible, the door didn't close properly, and it damaged the jam. They didn't paint it so it was just primer finished and I ended up charging them $879 to fix the door. The carpenter I hired changed me $45 and hour. It took him 2 days including paint. The cheapest exterior door I found locally was a steel door at the big box $124. The paint cost around $35 for a gallon.
$45x16hours+$124 + $35 = $879 and this particular carpenter charges me considerable less than anybody else in town because we are friends. Everybody else I talk to works at $65 and hour for handyman related stuff.
I also ALWAYs hire somebody for these kind of repairs because tenants always get upset with you if you charge them for labor on a house you own. I used to change $25 an hour for my time. I've been doing handyman related work for about 24 years and I usually have better craftsmanship than most people that do it for a living(sometimes its just a matter of caring more because I own the houses). I got so many angry complaints from tenants that I switched over to somebody that had and established business name and would provide me detailed receipts.

All this is to say it's really worth the $879 to have it done by somebody reputable as that dollar amount is a reasonable guarantee of workmanship. Where as if you even attempt this with no experience there is no guarantee that you can even complete the work without injuring yourself. Everybody has to start somewhere though so if your ok with redoing it or just living with it then you can learn a lot.

Thank you all for your answers and I've figured out that I've just got to live with what I've got :(

Actually, you could purchase an inexpensive jig-saw and, probably, cut an openable window and a doggie door in your existing, quite easily.

I am a complete uncoordinated monkey & I managed to cut a hole for a doggy door & install it, had to make modifications bc it was steel clad foam core so I had to use bolts instead of screws (pain to line up), painted the door & caulked around the doggy door. I am clumsy & can't draw or cut a straight line (without a computer to do it) to save my life, but I still managed it. There are youtube videos on how to do it and many doggy doors come with templates & instructions. Find some scrap cardboard & wood to practice on first.

Back