Replacing exterior doors with rotted sills

Help Support House Repair Talk:

zannej

Reaction score
I went out and took some pics of the back door today to show how much worse it is now:
1641594558098.png1641594591504.png

zannej

Reaction score
I think it may be time to do something about the door.
I agree. It's just getting people to help me with it is the problem. If its warm enough tomorrow I'm going to see about cutting the weeds (blackberry bushes) at the back. Need some sturdy gloves to block the thorns though. And I should probably get another wheelbarrow or something to put the cut-off parts in. Can't put them in a bag bc of all the damn thorns.

slownsteady

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Zannie, Zannie, Zannie, I love that you're game to do all the stuff on your list. But maybe it's time to get some help. Between all the projects you have and that boat anchor you call a brother hanging around your neck you may never catch up to the rate of deterioration that every house suffers from. With the knowledge you have, you should be able to weed out the bad contractors and find someone that can do you justice. Be your own general contractor!

zannej

Reaction score
I can't even get any contractors to come out for an estimate. They are too busy working on jobs in own where the roads don't suck. They are still fixing up houses from the hurricanes.

Guzzle

Reaction score
That door was proly meant for inside use only.

IDK of a solution when your inbox is filling up faster than your outbox.
The best you can do is set priorities & expect them to shift by the day.

#1 priority: make sure your place doesn't get condemned by the AHJ.

And. . .your brother needs an AHJ.

:D

zannej

Reaction score
LOL. Some things are on hold for a bit. I'm exhibiting Omicron symptoms & my friend just tested positive today. If I get worse or keep feeing sick I'll go get tested, but I'm quarantining for now.

I suppose I can do some stuff outside tomorrow- if its not raining. I need to cut those damn weeds but sun is already starting to go down.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
If replacement of that door can't be immediate I would recommend picking up a half sheet of thin OSB to cover the lower half if there's anything solid to tack it to. A temporary repair might kick it down the road for a year.

In my area the Habitat for Humanity has a thrift store where one can often find cheap doors and stuff. Also Lowes and Home Depot occasionally have damaged goods marked down (sometimes you have to ask).

Last edited:

zannej

Reaction score
Eddie, the hole in the door was where a pet door used to be. The dogs and cats still go through the hole. I would have to make sure they were all inside before any boarding up and then I would have them locked in & they would go nuts.

Hoping to get myself up early enough tomorrow to cut those blackberry bushes (once I find my gloves).

zannej

Reaction score
Today I went outside to try to cut some of the weeds with my mini chainsaw. I got a few down but started feeling overheated. I have to grab each individual blackberry branch and hold it to cut. Wasn't working out so well. I need a cutter that will power through multiple ones at a time. I'll have to see if I can find any. Guy who was hired to do he work took off with all of my weedeating/edging tools.

Anyone know a good non-gaspowered tool type for cutting dry blackberry bushes? They are like wood right now and they move around when cut and get stuck on my sleeves and pants.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I use a hand pruner or a two handled pruner for small limbs and tough stuff.

zannej

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting some sort of lawnmower to mow the weeds down low.

Am I imagining things, or were there some posts here that disappeared?