Replacing exterior doors with rotted sills

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went out and took some pics of the back door today to show how much worse it is now:
1641594558098.png1641594591504.png

I think it may be time to do something about the door.
I agree. It's just getting people to help me with it is the problem. If its warm enough tomorrow I'm going to see about cutting the weeds (blackberry bushes) at the back. Need some sturdy gloves to block the thorns though. And I should probably get another wheelbarrow or something to put the cut-off parts in. Can't put them in a bag bc of all the damn thorns.

Zannie, Zannie, Zannie, I love that you're game to do all the stuff on your list. But maybe it's time to get some help. Between all the projects you have and that boat anchor you call a brother hanging around your neck you may never catch up to the rate of deterioration that every house suffers from. With the knowledge you have, you should be able to weed out the bad contractors and find someone that can do you justice. Be your own general contractor!

I can't even get any contractors to come out for an estimate. They are too busy working on jobs in own where the roads don't suck. They are still fixing up houses from the hurricanes.

That door was proly meant for inside use only.

IDK of a solution when your inbox is filling up faster than your outbox.
The best you can do is set priorities & expect them to shift by the day.

#1 priority: make sure your place doesn't get condemned by the AHJ.

And. . .your brother needs an AHJ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Btfsplk:D

LOL. Some things are on hold for a bit. I'm exhibiting Omicron symptoms & my friend just tested positive today. If I get worse or keep feeing sick I'll go get tested, but I'm quarantining for now.

I suppose I can do some stuff outside tomorrow- if its not raining. I need to cut those damn weeds but sun is already starting to go down.

If replacement of that door can't be immediate I would recommend picking up a half sheet of thin OSB to cover the lower half if there's anything solid to tack it to. A temporary repair might kick it down the road for a year.

In my area the Habitat for Humanity has a thrift store where one can often find cheap doors and stuff. Also Lowes and Home Depot occasionally have damaged goods marked down (sometimes you have to ask).

Last edited:
Eddie, the hole in the door was where a pet door used to be. The dogs and cats still go through the hole. I would have to make sure they were all inside before any boarding up and then I would have them locked in & they would go nuts.

Hoping to get myself up early enough tomorrow to cut those blackberry bushes (once I find my gloves).

Today I went outside to try to cut some of the weeds with my mini chainsaw. I got a few down but started feeling overheated. I have to grab each individual blackberry branch and hold it to cut. Wasn't working out so well. I need a cutter that will power through multiple ones at a time. I'll have to see if I can find any. Guy who was hired to do he work took off with all of my weedeating/edging tools.

Anyone know a good non-gaspowered tool type for cutting dry blackberry bushes? They are like wood right now and they move around when cut and get stuck on my sleeves and pants.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a hand pruner or a two handled pruner for small limbs and tough stuff.

I'm thinking of getting some sort of lawnmower to mow the weeds down low.

Am I imagining things, or were there some posts here that disappeared?

I haven't gone out to the back to look at how bad it is for a couple of months. Will have to get pictures, charge up the jawsaw and other yard tools, and cut down the weeds and small trees. I need to cut down that pervasive tree that keeps coming back as far down as I can and then cover it with something to block it from getting even a hint of sunlight and hopefully it won't be able to grow. I'm sure the door is in worse condition now. Really need to get it replaced but need to replace the header.

There is an old part of a sectional sofa and a mattress in the area that I need to chain to the hitch of the truck and haul away. We are under a "no burn" order for now. It rained today and I'm sick so no yard work.

Anyway, I got some things for the exterior. Need to replace the light above the door so we got this crappy Hampton Bay light (Mom picked it)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton...oor-Wall-Lantern-Sconce-BPM1691-WHT/2020225161699681779504.png
And I got this to mount it on: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KWX1BRQ
1699681822020.png
There is still somewhat of a gap with how it fits on the siding so I will use rope caulk in the gaps and then seal around with Lexel or Big Stretch or something. It is a combo mounting block and electrical box. The alternative was to get a pancake box and separate mounting block and cut the siding. This should be easier to install.

I've since learned that instead of 1/2" plywood between the outer 2x6s for the header, a 1/2" foam board can be used in between (some people use it on the outside, but it is safer in the middle). In some places in TX it is actually code to have the foam board in the middle.
1699682056846.png
For the door sill (under the threshold, I still have some leftover 5-1/2" x 5/8" pvc board. I can paint it. Might even leave the "wood" texture side up for slip resistance. But might just go with smooth. I need to measure the scrap that is already painted to see if it is wide enough.

I'm waiting for a siding tool to arrive-- ordered it Oct 31 but it seems to be lost. I just contacted Amazon & they will send a replacement. UPS tracking said it was never in their hands-- only a label created. Anyway, back to the project:

I will be adding a 40"x40" awning over the door so I will need to add blocking. It looks similar to this:
1699685509803.png
I will be painting the black parts white. I'm considering bumping it out from the wall so it sticks out more. Overhang from the eaves is around 24". I also want to figure out how to affix some sort of gutter or drip edge (or whatever it is called) to the front so the water will divert to the sides instead of coming down on people who walk under the awning.

Need to:
  • Remove exterior trim & rotted sill
  • Repair damaged floor
  • Add flashing around door & under sill
  • Take off old rotted door
  • Remove improper header & install new header
  • Add new jack studs & cripples
  • Install door
  • Add blocking for awning
  • Install awning
  • Run wiring through header for exterior light
  • Install box mount for light
  • Install light
  • Install/build some sort of steps outside of the back door-- preferably with a landing
  • Replace pieces of vinyl siding that have hole cut for dryer vent & cut hole for new dryer vent (have extra vinyl siding leftover down at workshop)

Since the box is shallow I intend to use wago lever nuts.

Will need to replace the old sliding glass door too, but this one takes priority.

I'm thinking of replacing the trim around the door with vinyl instead of wood. I can always get more pvc boards and trim them down if need be. I may need to temporarily remove the J-trim for some of the work so I can get the flashing to wrap properly-- although, I might just tie in under where the trim was. Will need to measure the trim so I know what size to replace it with.

Back