Replacing FL with LED

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
FL light fixtures were large because FL technology required length. For my garage/shop area I am thinking of replacing the three hanging sheet metal fixtures with simple porcelain base fixtures (with pull chains for two of them). Then I can use dimmable medium base corn cob lights turning on only in the area needed. I presently have pull chains on two of the FLs so that I don't turn them all on just to get a potato or onion.

You have a grow-farm in your garage?

A LED light uses between 4 and 10 watts, not exactly a major energy hog.

I am going to start by ditching the most used FL shoplight and replacing it with a J-box and < $2 porcelain lamp holder. That will enable me to experiment with LED lamps to find the right light level and lamp type (bulb or corn). I wasted too much time before it dawned on me that I had no reason to keep the FL shoplights and the more expensive tubes. For the other two work areas I will get the porcelain lampholders w/receptacle then I can use a portable clamp lamp holder should I need more light in a specific area.

Back