Replacing GE over the range microwave question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahab3414

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a GE JVM6175EKES over the range microwave. It recently stopped working ( no lower at all). I just opened it and it looks like the fuse might have gone bad (a dark line in the middle, picture attached). I am wondering can I just replace it without discharging the capacitor? I have no way to access the capacitance without taking the microwave out from the assembly (I think). Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20230430_131742.jpg
    20230430_131742.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I suspect it's not a problem but you could just connect a wire to the chassis and touch it to one side of the fuse then the other. I think it would take multiple failures for any high voltage storage in the magnetron or a capacitor to show up at the fuse.

Thanks. So I would connect one side of the wire to the chasis, then touch the other side to one end of the fuse and then the other end of the fuse. Did I get it right? BTW, is there a way to check of the fuse has any voltage to be sure?

Thanks. So I would connect one side of the wire to the chasis, then touch the other side to one end of the fuse and then the other end of the fuse. Did I get it right? BTW, is there a way to check of the fuse has any voltage to be sure?
I'm assuming that it's unplugged so touching the wire to the fuse posts would just discharge any charge that was stored due to capacitance. However the fuse is in a line voltage circuit so it really should have no charge on it. If you have a meter you could check for voltage.

I'm assuming that it's unplugged so touching the wire to the fuse posts would just discharge any charge that was stored due to capacitance. However the fuse is in a line voltage circuit so it really should have no charge on it. If you have a meter you could check for voltage.
Thanks. Is this one I should try to check?

Attachments

• 20230430_210752.jpg
    20230430_210752.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
If that's a no contact voltage tester it wont detect a DC voltage which is what a capacitor stores.

Amazon shows a new GE fuse fuse with a black line. If the fuse is blown the capacitor or something else may be bad. I haven't worked on a microwave so I won't be of much help beyond checking the fuse and maybe the capacitor.

1682907416150.png

Today I replaced the fuse. The fuse I took out failed continuity test. Upon replacing ut, all lights cane on. As soon I turned tge microwave on, it made a sound ( not a popping one, rather some dull type) and all went dark again. Any suggestions here? Should I try to replace the switches (I replaced the door switch a couple of years ago as it waa not working when the door was closed)?

I've never worked on one. The capacitor and the diode work together to form a voltage doubler to achieve 4-5KV . If the capacitor or diode is bad it can short the transformer to ground and pop the fuse. It can be dangerous to troubleshoot and component replacement can add up cost wise. Some recommend if the microwave is older than three years it may be better to replace it. Some can be guided through a repair via a youtube video.

My bet is that the magnetron is bad. I've replaced fuses in my microwaves with good results but if they keep blowing it's time for a new MW

Back