Replacing Kitchen Tap

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyB

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Im going to be replacing my tap soon and was looking around where the water supply line from the faucet attatch to the water lines and noticed some rust and thought maybe it was best to replace that part also. Only problem is I dont know what that part is called and the best way to do it? and what to replace it with. Im assuming cut it off and install a new fitting of some sort. I have included a picture of what im talking about

any help would be great

Jeremy

100_4177.jpg

OK... this is under the kitchen sink right? Then it's a 5/8" copper supply line with a 3/8" adapter to the faucet.

1st. There should be a stop valve on the 5/8" supply line. One each for hot and cold. These aren't there now.

2nd. Purchase your faucet before you get the "stops" (shut-off valves) and see what kind that you need. You might need "risers" (the stainless flex hoses) and need to know how the supply to the faucet is configured. I only say this because here in Calif most of the stops have a 1/2" outlet. I just installed a Moen faucet (my preference) and it came with attached hoses with 3/8" fittings. If you have any questions take the faucet with you and ask someone in the plumbing dept. I can't guarantee you'll get the right answer, if you go to the big boxs, but it's worth a shot!

If you can't use the nut and compression ring on the lower pipe you will have to either remove it, use a Crescent (adjustable) wrench, adjust it to just slightly larger than the bottom pipe, hold it against the bottom of the nut and tap it off (upwards) with gentle hammer taps. If that doesn't work you'll have to cut the pipe. Make sure it's very clean (remove paint) and install the new stop.

The 5/8" is the OD of the 1/2" copper pipe. So please use 1/2" as the size reference to avoid confusion, as copper tube uses the ID size in plumbing.

A clerk in a store may look at you like you have a 3rd eye in the center of your forehead if you ask for a 5/8" compression stop valve....

A Ferrule Puller can be used to remove the old compression ferrule but you probably do not want to invest in one for a one time use. I'd reuse the nut and ferrule if the threads match...

Last edited:
I would have to do as you did. Take a picture of it on my phone, take it to the downtown plumbing supply house and they tell me. Any one know anything good or bad about NYC plumbing?

Back