Replacing light socket

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greentea

Reaction score
I am trying to replace a light socket gx24q-3 with pictures attached. I know where to buy the socket but have a few questions:

1) The silver metal part does not come with the socket. Where do I find that and it also does not seem to come off easy so not sure how to attach/deattach that part.

2) How do I attach the wires into this type of socket? I don’t see any instructions/videos online

Thank you!

Attachments

• D3028E43-2D87-4135-A90A-9FC111F3315B.jpeg
    D3028E43-2D87-4135-A90A-9FC111F3315B.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 6037098A-3BE9-4E44-A6C6-CD3987C0845B.jpeg
    6037098A-3BE9-4E44-A6C6-CD3987C0845B.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 28
You'll probably be money ahead by simply replacing the fixture.

it appears to be fastened to the insulator fixture via rivets so if I were faced with
this I'd simply drill out the rivets. refasten to new insulator using bolt/nut

Or, can you find a matching socket.

If one of these plug-in florescent lamp sockets, with the built-in lens bracket, has failed, what is the life expectancy of the others and what is your time worth.

In my area there are one or two vendors who specialize in purchasing obsolete and discontinued parts generated by the inherent obsolescence of fixtures, as the industry evolves. As often as not the parts are assembled into fixtures and marketed to large projects.

Thanks Snoonyb. I do have a matching socket. Just not sure how to remove the wires from the old one and attach them into the new one.

When you remove the trim holder, as described, the wire connection should become evident, as will the ability to amend the new lamp holder to fit and attach the trim bracket.

Pull the covering back on the wires and take another picture so we can see the connection point.

Back