Replacing old Toto flapper

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny186

Reaction score
Can I replace this flapper with something off the shelf or does it need to be the same kind as pictured? This is for a friend so I only have this one pic. It looks like there might be two little pegs sticking out from the filler tube where a generic flapper would fit but I'm not sure.

Attachments

• toilet.jpg
    toilet.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 7
I'd say it would have to be a TOTO flapper but, an off the shelf flapper is less than $5 if you want to find out that way.

Thanks kok328. Went to HD today and saw that they sell a TOTO flapper and even though it looks nothing like what is pictured, I'm sure it will work just fine.

Make sure you know which model toilet you have and check compatibility. Toto toilets have different size drains. The Entrada and Drake toilets have a 3" drain. The Drake II has a 2-1/2" flapper.
You may also want to find out if Toto has the new tower flush system available for the type of toilet you have. Mine has had zero problems with flapper getting mis-aligned, stuck or not closing fully.

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm told it's a 30 year old toilet even though it looks quite modern. I'm trying to avoid a million trips to HD even though no matter how much I think I've planned ahead I still have to go back for a stinkin' washer lol

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm told it's a 30 year old toilet even though it looks quite modern. I'm trying to avoid a million trips to HD even though no matter how much I think I've planned ahead I still have to go back for a stinkin' washer lol
I've had a Toto Drake since 2008. It came with the 3" flapper (but some flappers have holes with adjustable plugs & you are supposed to set them according to the specific model). Flapper had to be replaced a few times & would sometimes get stuck or not close right. In 2019 we got an ADA height Drake that came with the new tower flushing mechanism. It moves straight up and down so there is no side to side motion and thus far there have been no problems. I'm told the rubber gasket is easy to replace & there are video tutorials on it on Youtube.

I hear you on the hardware store trips. I'm like that with the grocery store. I think I got everything, get home and swear because I forgot something. Sometimes I forget the main reason I went to the store. LOL.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to their house so I'll know more this Tuesday.

Latest posts

Back