Replacing screen on screen porch.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darnskewered

Reaction score
We just moved into a new house with a screen porch. The screen is damaged in many places. It is not clear to me how the screen was initially installed, as the screen is stapled in between several different types of boards.

One person I talked to recommended just tearing out the old screen and then adding new thin pieces of wood to attach the new screen so that I don't have to go to the effort/expense of totally dismantling the boards that currently hold the screen in place.

Attached is a photo of one corner of this porch.

Note: I would rate my level of experience with home improvement/repair as: "Novice." But the last person I asked about doing this job said they would charge 800$, so I'd really like to try to figure this out on my own.

Let me know if more photos would help in analyzing this, this is just one corner. There are some boards outside which appear to help fasten the screen as well, but they are large boards and I'm not sure if I should try prying them up or what etc.

Thanks!
-DerekIMG_20180501_122855502.jpg

So they are built with a crack where water can sit and do it's damage.
I would cover the crack with a flashing that extends in 3" and fold up a little to catch water and then a 1x2 the hole. With spacers under the bottom one to allow water out.
Build anther frame the same size out of 1x2 and screen that spacers can just be placed in it to keep the shape until you screw it in place inside the first frame.

Last edited:
So they are built with a crack where water can sit and do it's damage.

Yeah, it does look like water could sit in there though the porch should mostly be protected from that by a roof overhang.

Most likely, they wrapped the screen around the board and nailed the board in...not an uncommon thing. You could try to pry the slats off, but it is possible that they will be damaged or dented by the pry bar. You could take the same approach; replace the slats, prime and paint them to match, and get replacement screen from your local hardware or big box store. I would use screws to fasten them back into place.
As with most things, if you take it apart slowly and pay attention, you will see how it went together in the first place.

Being from the midwest I've seen many screened porches. Usually the screen is stapled on and then a thin strip (1/4" lattice or such) nailed over to hide the staples.
I did look at the link that Elizabeth posted and thought it was a pretty nice idea that wasn't around when I was repairing decks.
Your pic only shows the inside so it's a little difficult to guess how the existing screen is mounted. If that's a groove into the sill that is just begging to rot away the wood. If that's the case it need to be resolved. Another pic of the outside would be helpful.

When I see jobs done like this all I see is dollar signs.
They alway fail and it's really hard to do a simple repair.
A 2 x 6 laying flat will always rot out, and most often also rot the post in the corner.
It's not cheap but the EZ breeze system will turn that porch into a 4 season porch, no more rot issues.
There custom made to fit the opening and as easy to install as a storm window.

Back