Replacing Shingles

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattbtay

Reaction score
We just had our roof replaced after some hail damage, insurance paid for most of so it wasn't horrible out of pocket. But I made a bad decision on shingle color, we don't hate it but really don't like it. Before I go talk to the roofing company, is it possible to just replace the shingles? Or would they need to replace all the under layers, just as they would with a whole new roof?

The underlayment would likely be damaged beyond repair when removing the shingles. What color are the shingles and what color would you like?

I would not recommend laying new shingles over the existing shingles. It will typically void the warranty of the new shingles. Two layers is usually allowed (check locally) but not recommended.

The underlayment would likely be damaged beyond repair when removing the shingles. What color are the shingles and what color would you like?

So we went with a "weathered wood" color (which has a few colors sprinkled in throughout ) as opposed to a neutral gray. The way it ended up being laid out doesn't look as good as opposed to when we were looking at a sample.

You also might look at realestate comp's in your area, before you spend money, which there will be little return for, to see if architecturally, the new roof is now or near the fashion.

You also might look at realestate comp's in your area, before you spend money, which there will be little return for, to see if architecturally, the new roof is now or near the fashion.
I mean it's a nice looking roof, don't get me wrong, visually speaking. Just with our house color - i don't think it was the best. Yes it may not be worth it to do it again, and it probably isn't.

If you're wanting to change shingle color, expect to pay for a new roof. Theres no easy way to change color without redoing the whole roof system.

Just think this through, properties change hands, finishes fade and/or change color, will you still be there in 6 or 7 years, or less.

We'll most likely just leave it as is. like i said we don't hate it, just don't love it. We also live in Texas who knows may get another bad hail storm a few times over the next few years, and need it replaced again. thanks everyone.

Hey Matt welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Here is my 2 cents and you already got the technology talk from the other guys.

Most things like roofs and siding etc that are fresh in your mind you notice, look at and think about for a while and then they just fade away and you think about other stuff.

Without looking can you remember the roof on any of your neighbors homes?

As long as it looks ok and blends in somewhat I say forget about it for a while. Now if you would have done it in bright pink and the siding was bright yellow that might be a mistake worth fixing, or if you just have more money than you know what to do with then change it out. Who knows you might not like the other one when you get it up as well.

Take the money and spend it on something else for the house and it will take your mind off the roof. That’s my opinion.

Back