Replacing Small Piece of Porch Wood

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 6" long piece of deck wood on my porch that goes in front of one of the columns. The original piece was rotted and it has been removed. The piece I've made fits in perfectly, but there is no good place to nail it without the nail being exposed to the elements (the original was toe nailed in place when the porch was built).

My question is what kind of glue would be best as most of the wood glues I've used are affected by water and this will catch some rain.

Thanks,

Vince

construction adhesive and toe nail unless you can get underneath and draw it tight with some screws.

Thanks, guys! There is no good place to drill a hole in the piece or toenail it as that section sees a lot of sun and rain/snow (front edge of porch, faces east). Plus, it's already painted. Fortunately it does not see any foot traffic as it's in front of a post. I am going to go with construction adhesive, as the back end will be held in place by a repair piece I'm making for the post.

Vince

Latest posts

Back