Replacing switches in bath 4-function exhaust/heater/lights unit

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the instructions. So currently all the wires are capped-off with a nut. Perhaps I am paranoid but is it risky to remove the nut once the circuit is energized? Also, do you guys think I should leave the nutone device components unplugged as they are now or plug those back into their receptacles?

Thanks for the instructions. So currently all the wires are capped-off with a nut. Perhaps I am paranoid but is it risky to remove the nut once the circuit is energized? Also, do you guys think I should leave the nutone device components unplugged as they are now or plug those back into their receptacles?

You can uncap them individually as you proceed or all at once.

Just keep all the red's and black's separated as they are now, so you don't get confused.

Once you have identified the hot pair plug the components back in and then verify that you still have voltage at only the hot pair.

Thank you Snoonyb. Another probably obvious question. You are calling it a "hot pair" ... But only one wire should be "hot" or register ~120V, is that right? Or am I missing something?

Thank you Snoonyb. Another probably obvious question. You are calling it a "hot pair" ... But only one wire should be "hot" or register ~120V, is that right? Or am I missing something?

Correct!

However the term "hot pair" defines an electrical supply from which you can power a device and is composed of a supply conductor and the return conductor.

In this case a black or red conductor and a white conductor.

The bare copper or grnd. is a safety.

If you find two hot wires, measure between them if you get nothing, they are from the same leg or on the same circuit.
You could read 240.
As you don't have breakers tied together I would not expect 240.

Ok, so only the middle, bottom black wire is "hot". I am now putting the nutone components back in their place and will re-test.

The 3-function switch is working fine. Now to install the timer.

The 3-function switch is working fine. Now to install the timer.

Before you stuff everything back in the switch box, turn the breaker off.

Be careful to loop the conductors and keep them slightly away from contact with the grnd. and the box.

We are in business! I think the hardest part was slowly working all the wires into the box.

Thanks for all of your help and advice. I've learned so much through this process so it wasn't in vain. I still have circuit 4a off and the GFCIs in the other bathroom are not functioning but that isn't a problem in the near term. I'm leaving for vacation this weekend and i'd like to come back here when I return in a week or so and debug that issue if you guys are willing.

Again, you have all been so forthcoming and willing to share your knowledge and I am very appreciative of that.

1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We are in business! I think the hardest part was slowly working all the wires into the box.

Thanks for all of your help and advice. I've learned so much through this process so it wasn't in vain. I still have circuit 4a off and the GFCIs in the other bathroom are not functioning but that isn't a problem in the near term. I'm leaving for vacation this weekend and i'd like to come back here when I return in a week or so and debug that issue if you guys are willing.

Again, you have all been so forthcoming and willing to share your knowledge and I am very appreciative of that.

Some photo's and, maybe a ham sandwich?

Hi all - i'm back from vacation and ready to finish this project that I've started. For anyone jumping into this now I'll give a very brief synopsis of what's going on ...

I replaced some switches in one of two bathrooms. After cutting the power to both of my bathrooms, when I turned the power back on at the circuit breaker I heard a loud buzzing noise. At first I wasn't sure where that was coming from but I have since narrowed-it down to the GFCIs in the other bathroom, the one where I made no wiring changes.

At one point I pressed the test button on all the GFCIs while the power was off. While the power was off it seems that when you hit the reset button nothing happens? When I tried again and turned on the power to these outlets I no longer heard the same buzzing sound.

Tonight I powered the circuit with the GFCIs again and if I hit the reset button on two of the outlets nothing happens. But, for the third pair of outlets (in the photo this is the ones with a lamp plugged-in) if I hit the reset button on this outlet the lamp turns on and then the buzzing starts. I quickly hit the test button to stop the buzzing noise.

Any idea what may be causing this? Or what I should try next? I have had no issues prior to cutting the power to this circuit. Previously all of the GFCIs were working and had their green LED illuminated.

GFCIs in Bathroom.jpg

You again;)

Now you can make one work or the noise you can turn off the breaker and make sure the power is off.
The good news is, you only need one of those to gfci and then feed the others, so you just have to figure out where the power comes from for the line on the first one the other is fed from the load on the first one.
You just have to figure which one is good or bad.

Hi all - i'm back from vacation and ready to finish this project that I've started. For anyone jumping into this now I'll give a very brief synopsis of what's going on ...

I replaced some switches in one of two bathrooms. After cutting the power to both of my bathrooms, when I turned the power back on at the circuit breaker I heard a loud buzzing noise. At first I wasn't sure where that was coming from but I have since narrowed-it down to the GFCIs in the other bathroom, the one where I made no wiring changes.

At one point I pressed the test button on all the GFCIs while the power was off. While the power was off it seems that when you hit the reset button nothing happens? When I tried again and turned on the power to these outlets I no longer heard the same buzzing sound.

Tonight I powered the circuit with the GFCIs again and if I hit the reset button on two of the outlets nothing happens. But, for the third pair of outlets (in the photo this is the ones with a lamp plugged-in) if I hit the reset button on this outlet the lamp turns on and then the buzzing starts. I quickly hit the test button to stop the buzzing noise.

Any idea what may be causing this? Or what I should try next? I have had no issues prior to cutting the power to this circuit. Previously all of the GFCIs were working and had their green LED illuminated.

HMMMMMMMMPF! No photos, OR, a ham sandwich. Thats gratitude for ya.

Does it buzz without the lamp.

With the power off, remove the duplex recep. with the lamp connected. and check if all the wires are securely connected, because it sounds as though there is a loose connection.

Hi all, sorry for the delayed response. I've been able to look at the GFCIs, and it appears that they are all connected in series starting with the outlet closest to the corner. I also noticed that the ground wire is disconnected in this initial GFCI. Could that cause the buzzing/rattling noise that I have heard? Thanks for your help.

Now, about that ham sandwich ... :)

Back