Replacing the entire base of a roof versus replacing parts of the roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigsawsaver

Reaction score
If a 4 foot by 16 foot patio roof is being re-roofed (repair of roof all the way down to base, inspection, repair of sub-floor, installation of bitumen, installation of flashings, etc) and it turns out the entire floor base needs to be replaced (versus small parts being replaced), would that lead to "redefining" the original scope of the work? If so, how much larger of a job would this be?

We've had a revised estimate submitted and want a fair outcome for both the contractor and us. We have a job underway mid-stream. We originally got 3 bids (checked, references) and took the most expensive, knowing we wanted it done right and the contractors recommendations.

If it were a new work scope, does $1,000, $2,000, $4,000, $6,000, $8,000, or $10,000 sound like a better very high level ball park to be in (we have three 4 by 16 foot patios and the entire cost of this job's already been agreed to)?

Just want to look at this from both our sides and see what reasonable range would be, if it's an enhanced job? My impression going in was replacing the whole base would be more materials and not an enhanced/new scope of work, curious about any thoughts? Thank you,

What does the contract specifically say?
If you need an unbiased approach, check out a Home inspector in your area who specializes in new construction, I do this kind of work in my area and it does help to educate the client....and sometimes the contractor.
This approach tends to be thousands less that the inevitable lawyers fees at the end of the project, :2cents:

How do I handle the two ridges of a barn style roof with the drip edge? Do I just overlap and leave it? ...or would it be best to snip the fascia flashing and give it the opportunity to overlap the lower flashing for run-off? Then do I caulk the overlap, run a sheet metal screw through it, .....what? :2cents: :usa: :usa: :usa:

Are you talking about the "gambrell" part of the roof?
Always overlap with a material that is not going to crack if stretched beyond it's use. Flashing is perfect for that.
Sounds like you already figured it out.

Back