Replacing window balances

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobD365

Reaction score
Hello All,
I want to replace the spiral balances in my 20 year old, non-tilt windows. A number of the windows are sticking or won't stay up. The problem I'm having is unclipping the metal, two prong clip that's attached to the bottom of the window sash. The clip is attached to the spiral and apparently under a good amount of tension. I made the mistake of removing a balance from the top end first and spent a good five minutes trying to find the screw that flew off. I can't get the clip off using pliers or a screwdriver. Does anyone know if there is a special tool I can use or an easy way of removing the clip? Any help is appreciated!

Yes, a tool is available. I bought and used on several years ago when I replaced my balances.

Here is a video that shows (about halfway through) what the tool I used looks like.

Great! Thanks for the information. I ordered the tool and checked out the video, plus I found a few more videos that should help me with this project.

Back