Retrofit/add natural gas to existing home?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stimpy

Reaction score
I'm looking to convert to a gas range. Other stuff might come later but everything else is new. Teco (gas utility) will install a meter for free and a plumbing contractor is coming to quote at the end of next month. I have no idea what to expect. If gas lines can run thru the attic, it should be an easy install. I'll also need a venting hood installed. What pricing should I expect (I'm guessing $1,000 for the plumbing and $500 for a roofer)? What should I be aware of in researching this? What can I do myself that wouldn't cause my insurance company to give me grief- I assume plumbing and roof work needs to be done by pros?

There's also rebates offered from Teco... I know nothing about dealing with rebates. Are these good?
Cooking: $300
Drier: $200
Furnace $725
water heater (tank/ energy star tank/ tankless): $550/ $650/ $700

you haven't mentioned how long a run for the gas lines.
roofers are not cheap, double it.

Around 30’ horizontal distance from the range wall to outside wall plus 12’ ceilings if that matters.

Do some research, because there may well be contractors for gas servicing appliance service and installation, that also have experience in installing roof-jacks, which are, in fact, a typical DIY.

Is there an existing elec. outlet to power the hood.

I contacted 4 gas installers recommended by Teco… and only one replied. Will see what they offer. There’s an electric outlet for the over-range microwave. I’d do the roof myself but want to run it by insurance first. That seems like something they’d use to deny a claim of something ever happened.

I'd try some independents, from past experience.
Is the MW recep. on a separate circuit?

Snoony, by "WHALLA" do you mean "voila"?

There may be some "girls" employed there.

Reading what you write here is always fun Snoony :D

Back