RFI Repair of asphalt driveway

Discussion in 'Bricks, Masonry and Concrete' started by try2diy, May 4, 2007.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. May 4, 2007 #1

try2diy

try2diy

try2diy

I have an asphalt driveway, and have a few cracks in it.

I have used the liquid latex crack sealer, but in a few areas the cracks are ~ 1/4" wide, and what is worse - the latex just seems to pour in forever. Obviously, there has been some excavation by water etc making a void.

I plan to get filler that comes in a caulking gun type applicator, to fill the cracks, but I was wondering if anyone who would know about such things, what their opinion about using something such as "great stuff" to fill the void below the surface.

is this a godd idea? bad idea? not necessary?

Thx in advance

2. May 4, 2007 #2

glennjanie

glennjanie

glennjanie

Good idea, or you could use backing cord which is a grey foam bead that can be cpmpressed into the crack and caulked over. It comes in different sizes, depending on the size of the crack. There is also a self-leveling caulk for the cracks that looks real good. You'll find it in new commercial work that uses a lot of concrete.
    Glenn

3. May 4, 2007 #3

try2diy

try2diy

try2diy

Ok, so I will get some low expansion foam, fill in he void, then put in putty and finally seal the whole shebang.

I saw my neighbor sealing the driveway, but using a paint roller rather than a squeegee. seemed easier... any thoughts?

4. May 4, 2007 #4

glennjanie

glennjanie

glennjanie

Yes, I prefer a 1" lambswool roller for driveways. It gets good coverage and works the sealer in as you go.
    Glenn