RFI Repair of asphalt driveway

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

try2diy

Reaction score
I have an asphalt driveway, and have a few cracks in it.

I have used the liquid latex crack sealer, but in a few areas the cracks are ~ 1/4" wide, and what is worse - the latex just seems to pour in forever. Obviously, there has been some excavation by water etc making a void.

I plan to get filler that comes in a caulking gun type applicator, to fill the cracks, but I was wondering if anyone who would know about such things, what their opinion about using something such as "great stuff" to fill the void below the surface.

is this a godd idea? bad idea? not necessary?

Thx in advance

Good idea, or you could use backing cord which is a grey foam bead that can be cpmpressed into the crack and caulked over. It comes in different sizes, depending on the size of the crack. There is also a self-leveling caulk for the cracks that looks real good. You'll find it in new commercial work that uses a lot of concrete.
Glenn

Ok, so I will get some low expansion foam, fill in he void, then put in putty and finally seal the whole shebang.

I saw my neighbor sealing the driveway, but using a paint roller rather than a squeegee. seemed easier... any thoughts?

Yes, I prefer a 1" lambswool roller for driveways. It gets good coverage and works the sealer in as you go.
Glenn

Back