Right way to caulk kitchen counter?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepper

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section—if so, feel free to move it.

The caulking has split where one of our kitchen counters meets the wall. Unlike the other counters, which are against a tile backsplash, this one's against a painted wall, and I'm wondering what the best way to repair it is.

condo_kitchen_caulking.jpg

As you can see, whoever installed the counter used white caulk between the dark counter and light-colored wall.

As long as I'm fixing it, rather than leaving a visible line of caulk there, I'd like to paint the (newly) filled area with the wall color, up to the counter.

But I must also use kitchen and bath caulk here, right? And isn't that generally silicone-based, and thus unpaintable?

Thanks for your help!

If you are painting it you do not want to use a kitchen/bath silicon type I or II caulk.

You can use a paintable, siliconized acrylic caulk.

I often use Dap AlexPlus when doing what you describe.
For that edge and wall color I would use the clear.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I knew Alex Plus had some silicone in it—but as it's not specifically for kitchens or baths, I didn't know if it'd be suitable here. (Years ago I saw "silicone" on the tube, and made the mistake of caulking a tub with it—yikes!)

From what you're saying, I gather it can be used in a place like this as long as I paint all of it. Okay, then.

And yes, Neal, I'll mask off the counter... If guys like Mondrian could use tape, I figure we can too.

mondrian.jpg

Use Polyseamseal, it's works with your dampened finger, is paintable and elastomeric.

I'm not sure I would be less impressed if he didn't use tape.

Ah, dude, I'm actually referring to the painting there. You know, on the wall...?

Use Polyseamseal, it's works with your dampened finger, is paintable and elastomeric.

Thanks, but I already have some Alex Plus, which is not only paintable but "flexible" and "highly durable", as long as you don't use it to line a tub. (Did I mention that?)

The last bathroom sink I used Ploy on was elastomeric after 20yrs.

Back