Rolled rubber roof, wide spread interior water staining, how to tell if this is needs to be fixed asap?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

56althea

Reaction score
this question is both for my landlord's benefit as well as my own as I am the tenant on the top floor of a 122 yr old 3 story building.

Last spring, some very dirty smelly water came thru the kitchen ceiling, not a ton of water, mind you, maybe 3 half buckets. The landlord and I were both puzzled because the roof does NOT leak when it rains. at least not that we can tell. Maybe there's some very small slow leak that caused the depressed area I'm about to tell you about.

After googling and investigating, it appears that the problem is water pooling in this depressed area that is lower that the rest of the roof (the rubber in that area also looks very weathered) and this water is coming from melting ice dams. This depressed area is directly above where my ceiling is leaking in the kitchen and water staining in the bedrooms

My investigation led me to finding several sections along the overhang of the exterior of the building where the soffits and fascia are all rotted out. These sections of rot are getting worse as winter progresses and more ice dams have formed and melted- with some of that water ending up in my apt. again.

There is now also water staining in the living room corresponding to one of the rotted soffits/fascia sections but no frank leak yet

The ice dams form in an area that i is literally on the opposite end of the bldg from where the water is pooling and entering my apt. I have water coming down the walls and thru the ceiling in my kitchen as well as water stains in both bedrooms and the pantry and a closet. SO that water is travelling quite a distance and it makes me wonder what the entire roof might look like under the rolled rubber.

I know without actually getting up there and looking for yourselves, it would be impossible to say if this is a serious issue but just in general: if we assume that the water getting in is ONLY from melting ice dams (this is New England) can we more or less safely assume that the amount of water damage is minimal and that the exterior doesn't urgently need repairs?

Why hasn't the landlord tarped the roof?

You are aware of habitability requirements.

I don't know that putting tarp up would help??? the roof doesn't leak when it rains. the water is getting under the rolled rubber at the very edges of the bldg where I imagine that junction should be tightly sealed somehow.

I mean, it *might* also have a small slow leak but you'd have to locate it first and it's a very large tall blding on top of a hill, anything you put up there is gonna blow off if not secured very well. Tarps are expensive.

To put this in some context, the garage roof leaks so badly that you need to use an umbrella to walk it when it rains LOL but I don't have a car down there, only the landlord and other tenants do. I only go thru there some times to put my trash out. Yes the owner lives in the building. I have opinions about how he does things but I'm not comfortable sharing those on a public forum. Use your imagination I guess lol

as far as I can figure, that's what needs to be addressed. where the roof meets the edge of the bldg. at the very least. It's an old roof but I hear these rolled rubber roofs last a long time. I'm not sure exactly how old it is, but it has not been re roofed for sure since 1994 (I've lived here since 1996 but lived next door in 1994)
It did have some flashing around the chimneys replaced once when the it leaked so bad that the living room canvas ceiling filled up with water and had to be replaced. that was roughly 15 yrs ago.
There was significant water damage from a leak in one bedroom, prior to me moving here that left that ceiling so bowed it cast a shadow. That was a plaster ceiling that was replaced 4 yrs ago as it was severely cracked and falling down in chunks.

this current issue is totally out of my hands. An inspection was done by a housing agency and the landlord was ordered the "fix" the ceiling. Photos were taken of the rotting soffits/fascia out front but they are not something he's been ordered to fix. I think the building code enforcement handles that when he comes up his certificate of occupancy. I'm guessing that he'll be told to do something about the roof at that point.
I will be left scratching my head if he's not.

If I owned the place, I would have immediately done something about the roof, before addressing the ceilings but what do I know?

It's a common occurrence for roof leaks on a flat roof on a clear day. Moisture gets trapped in the insulation board or multiple layers of roofing as the sun heats the roof the moisture is pushed away from the surface. Time for a new roof.

It's a common occurrence for roof leaks on a flat roof on a clear day. Moisture gets trapped in the insulation board or multiple layers of roofing as the sun heats the roof the moisture is pushed away from the surface. Time for a new roof.
well, that's what I was thinking but can't be the one to say so :p

It sound like your landlord needs a visit for a habitability check from the code enforcement.

It sound like your landlord needs a visit for a habitability check from the code enforcement.
they do these every 4 yrs so he's due . There may be some delay because I think they are short on inspectors right now.

Be diplomatic and informative of all, including the garage.

Be diplomatic and informative of all, including the garage.
I am not included in any conversations with the building code inspectors. They only speak with the landlord. I would have to make a formal complaint myself outside of the normal every 4 yr schedule and I'm not going to do that, they will be here soon enough.

Since I don't have a car in the garage, it's not on me to make a report on that, the first floor tenants would have to say something.
As it stands right now, I look like the bad guy because so far most of the bigger problems have happened in my apt. It's not my fault, it's the fault of years of neglect. Past landlords were grateful to be made aware of things when the first started being an issue but this current one is not at all grateful, he sees me as a troublemaker.

Rubber roofs only last 20years. Time for a new roof.

Rubber roofs only last 20years. Time for a new roof.
IF... and that's a big if. They were installed correctly. Proper drip edge, proper cover tapes, proper flashings, installed over a proper substrate, all effect how long a rubber roof will last. Not gluing the membrane will cause it to shrink and bridge sat the walls and pull the drip edge up. And, there is no warranty on materials installed on a residence from any rubber roof manufacturer.

thanks for all your suggestions, they have been passed on to the landlord.

I am not included in any conversations with the building code inspectors. They only speak with the landlord. I would have to make a formal complaint myself outside of the normal every 4 yr schedule and I'm not going to do that, they will be here soon enough.

Since I don't have a car in the garage, it's not on me to make a report on that, the first floor tenants would have to say something.
As it stands right now, I look like the bad guy because so far most of the bigger problems have happened in my apt. It's not my fault, it's the fault of years of neglect. Past landlords were grateful to be made aware of things when the first started being an issue but this current one is not at all grateful, he sees me as a troublemaker.

There is no prerequisite that excludes your from attending an inspection tour, of your residence, nor is there of your asking the landlord, in the tour, if they had received your notice of a particular event.

is it possible to get a roofer, or even just someone to repair the decayed soffits, in the winter in New England?

nothing is happening even though the landlord has been ordered to "repair the exterior of the 3rd floor", "repair/replace decayed soffits" and fix the ceiling in the kitchen (and it was suggested but not ordered, that he do something about the water damage in the other 4 rooms)

I'm guessing no one will come out to do this work til the snow is gone?

Latest posts

Back